Saad Issa Sarsam
- Professor, Sarsam and Associates Consult Bureau (SACB), Baghdad, Iraq
Roller-compacted concrete (RCC) pavement is suitable for heavy traffic and harsh environment. In the present investigation, RCC slab samples have been prepared using two types of aggregates (crushed and rounded), and two types of cement binder (ordinary Portland and sulphate resistant). Cubes and beam specimens have been extracted from the slab samples with the aid of diamond saw. Specimens were tested for bulk density, ultrasound pulse velocity, compressive and flexural strength. It was observed that crushed aggregates exhibit higher compressive and flexural strength, and higher density regardless of the cement content or type of cement as compared with rounded aggregates. The compressive strength of mixtures with crushed aggregates is higher than that of mixtures with rounded aggregates by 9.4, 37.2, and 47.1% and 5.7, 26.1, and 31.2% for mixtures with 10, 12, and 16% of Portland and sulphate resistance cement respectively. The flexural strength for mixtures with crushed aggregates is higher than that of mixtures with rounded aggregates by 19.7, 18.4, and 15% and 13.4, 14.3, and 16.5% for mixtures with ordinary and sulphate resistance cement content of 10, 12, and 16% respectively. The bulk density for mixtures with crushed aggregates is higher than that of mixtures with rounded aggregates by 0.2, 0.65, and 2.5% and 0.4, 1.0, and 2.3% for mixtures with ordinary and sulphate resistance cement content of 10, 12, and 16% respectively.
Keywords: Crushed aggregate, rounded aggregate, compressive, flexural, pulse velocity, rollercompacted concrete, cement
[This article belongs to Trends in Transport Engineering and Applications;(ttea)]
1. 1.Khayat K, Libre N, Wu Z. Roller compacted concrete for rapid pavement construction. Project number: TR201518. MoDOT Research Report Number CMR 19–003. Missouri Department of Transportation Construction and Materials Division Research Section; February 10, 2019.
2. Ashrafian A, Gandomi AH, Rezaie-Balf M, Emadi M. An evolutionary approach to formulate the compressive strength of roller compacted concrete pavement. Measurement. 2020 February;152. doi: 10.1016/j.measurement.2019.107309.
3. Qasrawi HY. Concrete strength by combined nondestructive methods simply and reliably predicted. Cem Concr Res. 2000;30(5):739–46. doi: 10.1016/S0008–8846(00)00226-X.
4. Hamza A. Behavior of roller compacted concrete used for dams. [M.Sc. Thesis]. Department of Civil Engineering, University of Al Nahrain, January; 2008.
5. Sarsam S. Comparative evaluation of roller compacted concrete strength using non-destructive testing. J Res Cem Concr Technol. 2020;1(1):11–9.
6. Chhorn C, Lee SW. Influencing compressive strength of roller-compacted concrete. Proc Inst Civ Eng Constr Mater. February 2018;171(1):3–10. doi: 10.1680/jcoma.16.00009.
7. Trtnik G, Kavcic F, Turk G. Prediction of concrete strength using ultrasonic pulse velocity and artificial neural networks. Ultrasonics. 2009;49(1):53–60. doi: 10.1016/j.ultras.2008.05.001.
8. Panzera T, Christoforo A, Bowen C, Cota F, Borges P. Ultrasonic pulse velocity evaluation of cementitious materials. INTECH Open Access Publisher; 2011. doi: 10.5772/17167.
9. Iraqi Organization of Standards for Portland cement. IOS Press; 1984, p. 5.
10. SCRB, State Commission of Roads and Bridges, Standard specifications for Roads and Bridges. Ministry of Housing and Construction, 2003. Iraq.
11. ASTM D-1557. Standard test method for moisture-density relations of soils and soil-aggregate mixtures using modified effort (56,000 ft-lbf/ft3) (2,700 kN-m/m3). Annual book of ASTM standards American Society for Testing and Materials. 2002;04(8):206–10.
12. Sarsam S, Al-Rawi A, Tawfeek S. Assessing the durability of roller compacted concrete sustainable pavement. Proceedings, 9th International Conference. Kingdom of Bahrain: Concrete for Sustainable Construction. February 11–13, 2013.
13. Sarsam S. Evaluation of roller compacted concrete pavement properties, engineering, and development. Scientific Journal of Al-Mustansiriah University. 2002;6:59–74.
14. ASTM, American Society for Testing and Materials. ASTM: road and paving material, vehicle-pavement system. Annual Book of ASTM Standards. 2016;4(3).
15. Sarsam SI. Assessing the influence of aggregates and cement types on fresh roller compacted concrete mixture. Journal of Multidisciplinary Technovation. 2021;3(3):23–31. doi: 10.34256/irjmt2134.
|Received||June 5, 2021|
|Accepted||July 5, 2021|
|Published||August 31, 2021|