- Dean R&D, Department of Mechanical Engineering, PES College of Engineering, Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India
After traditional heat treatment, Cryogenic treatment is carried out as a secondary process to improve the hardness and wear resistance of tool steels. The researchers have already studied and it is well published the potential use of cryogenic treatment of AISI D2 tool steel under laboratory conditions. However, to ensure the sustainable use of this technology for industrial application, its analysis is essential. Therefore, in this work a small scale manufacturing unit having press shop was identified and impact of cryogenic treatment on AISI D2 steel blanking punch was evaluated in terms of tool life and part quality. The improved hardness and wear resistance of cryogenically treated punch resulted in approximately 60% production rise. Punch life was studied and correlated to part quality in term of dimensional accuracy of blanking punch. The AISI D2 steel samples were also prepared and subjected to laboratory tests comprising of metallographic observations and hardness. It was found that laboratory tests were not sufficient to predict improvements in service life of punch. The dimensional accuracy plays an important role in deciding the service life.
Keywords: Cryogenic, Blanking Process, Wear, Hardness, Punch life, D2 tool steel.
[This article belongs to Trends in Mechanical Engineering & Technology(tmet)]
1. Subramonian S., Altan T., Ciocirlan B, Campbell C., 2013, Optimum selection of variable punchdie clearance to improve tool life in blanking non symmetric shapes. Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf. 75,63e71.
2. Hao-huai Liu, H.; Wang, J.; Shen, B.; Yang, H.; Gao, S.; Huang, S. Effects of deep cryogenic treatment on property of 3Cr13Mo1V1.5 high chromium cast iron. Materials and Design 2007, 28,1059–1064.Materials and Design 2007, 28,1059–1064.
3. Nirmal S. Kalsi, Rakesh Sehgal, and Vishal S. Sharma Cryogenic Treatment of Tool Materials: A Review Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 25: 1077–1100, 2010.
4. A. Bensely, L. Shyamala, S. Harish, D. Mohan Lal, G. Nagarajan, K. Junik, A. Rajadurai, Mater.Des. 30 (2009) 2955-2962.
5. Rhyim Y-M, Han S-H, Na Y-S, Lee J-H. Effect of deep cold cryogenic treatment on carbide precipitation and mechanical properties of tool steels. Solid State Phenom 2006; 118:9–14.
6. I. Wierszyllowski, Defect Diff. Forum 258-260 (2006) 415-420.
7. A. Akhbarizadeh, A. Shafyei, M.A. Golozar ; Effects of cryogenic treatment on wear behavior of D6 tool steel, Materials and Design 30 (2009) 3259–3264.
8. A. Mahmudi, H.M. Ghasemi and H.R. Faradji, “Effects of Cryogenic Treatments on the Mechanical Properties and Wear Behaviour of High-speed Steel M2”, Heat Treatment of Metals, 2000.3, pp 69-72.
9. Bensely A.; Prabhakaran A.; MohanLal D.; Nagarajan G. Enhancing the wear resistance of case carburized steel (En 353) by cryogenic treatment. Cryogenics 2006, 45, 747–754.
10. Barron, R.F. Cryogenic treatment of metals to improve wears resistance. Cryogenics 1982, 22,409–414.
11. Collins, D.N.; Dormer, J. Deep cryogenic treatment of a D2 cold-worked tool steel. Heat Treat.Met. 1997, 24 (3), 71–74.
12. E.A. Carlson, in: ASM Handbook, vol. 4, Heat Treating, 10th ed., ASM International, Metals Park, Ohio, 1990, pp. 203-206.
13. Mohan Lal D., Renganarayanan S., Kalanidhi A., Cryogenic treatment to augment wear resistance of tool and die steels. Cryogenics 2001; 41:149-155.
14. V. Leskovsek, M. Kalin, J. Vizintin, Influence of deep-cryogenic treatment on wear resistance of vacuum heat-treated HSS, Vacuum 80 (2006) 507–518.
15. Gill S.S.; Singh, R.; Singh, H.; Singh, J. Wear behavior of cryogenically treated tungsten carbide inserts under dry and wet turning conditions. International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture 2009, 49, 256–260.
16. Debdulal Das, Apurba Kishore Dutta, Kalyan Kumar Ray; Sub-zero treatments of AISI D2 steel: Part I. Microstructure and hardness; Materials Science and Engg. A (2008), doi:10.1016/j.msea.2009.10.070
17. Gill S.S., Singh R, Singh H, Singh J, 2010. Cryoprocessing of cutting tool materials, a review,Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol. 48, 175e192.
18. Gill S.S., Singh R, Singh H, Singh J, 2011, Metallurgical Principles of Cryogenically treated tool steels a review on the current state of science. Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Techn. 54, 59e82.
19. Flosky F. Vollertsen F, 2014, Wear behavior in a combined micro blanking and deep drawing process. CIRP Ann. Manuf. Technol. 63, 281e284.
20. Nandkumar Pillai, R. Karthikeyan, J. Paulo Davim;, 2017, A review on effects of cryogenic treatment of AISI ‘D’ series cold working tool steels, Rev. Adv. Mater. Sci. 51 (2017) 149-159.
|Received||February 3, 2021|
|Accepted||June 15, 2021|
|Published||June 30, 2021|