- Student, Department of Civil Engineering, Saraswati College of Engineering, Maharashtra, India
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Saraswati College of Engineering, Maharashtra, India
In India, passengers spend significant time on railway stations using their amenities, services and facilities. Thus, making their stay pleasurable would result in passengers’ satisfaction for a rail journey. Also, from recent years, Indian Railways faces several losses in passenger trains’ revenue generation due to lack in safety and security of railway station premises. The project has plans for developing stations of excellent standards by delivering state-of-the-art facilities and quality services at platforms. This research work attempts to assess levels of importance and satisfaction pursued by the passengers with respect to amenities on platform of Indian Railways. The project “Redevelopment of Railway Station” initiates from Thane railway station of Central Railways in Mumbai Suburban Railways region having aim for doing the same work for entire Indian Railways in future. Revenue generation, crowd management, safety and security of passengers and cleanliness were revealed as the aspects that need improvement. This study refers to the concept of “Redevelopment of Railway Station” which means the modernization and construction of existing station including platforms, revenue generation, crowd management, safety and security of passengers, cleanliness, drainage systems and reuse of water on the concept of smart station.
Keywords: Passenger satisfaction, crowd management, railway station, redevelopment, reconstruction, revenue generation, safety and security, cleanliness, drainage system
[This article belongs to International Journal of Transportation Engineering and Traffic System(ijtets)]
1. Ministry of Railway, Govt. of India. Development of Thane Railway Station. 2017; 35(2): 68–83.
2. Ministry of Railway, Govt. of India. India Railway annual reports. Indian Railway Annual reports and Accounts; 2016–17; 13(1): 97–113.
3. Wikipedia. Mumbai Suburban Railway. 2020.
4. Schools Wikipedia Section. Indian Railways. 2007.
5. Arts and Culture. Connecting and transforming India Railways Impact on society. 2008.
6. Central Railway, Thane. Study on Trespassing over Railway track in Mumbai Suburban area and remedial measures thereon (Thane Railway Station). Thane: Central Railway; 2012; 11: 4–9.
7. Public Works Department, Govt. of Maharashtra. State Schedule of Rate. 2020–21.
|Received||April 25, 2021|
|Accepted||May 20, 2021|
|Published||June 10, 2021|