- Junior Research Fellow, CSK Himachal Pradesh Agriculture University, Himachal Pradesh, India
Physiotherapy is an essential aspect of healthcare that emphasizes the recovery and upkeep of physical functionality, mobility, and overall health. This article explores the significance of physiotherapy in promoting optimal health and its impact on various conditions and populations. The review of literature highlights different therapeutic approaches employed in physiotherapy and their effectiveness. The discussion encompasses the wide range of benefits provided by physiotherapy, including pain management, injury prevention, rehabilitation, and improvement of overall quality of life. The article concludes by emphasizing the essential role of physiotherapy in enhancing physical function and promoting holistic well-being.
Keywords: Physiotherapy, health, mobility, rehabilitation, pain management
[This article belongs to International Journal of Orthopedic Nursing and Practices(ijornp)]
- Bury T, Stokes EK. Rehabilitation and physiotherapy following critical illness. Curr Opin Crit Care. 2019; 25 (5): 472–477.
- Childs JD, Cleland JA, Elliott JM, Teyhen DS, Wainner RS, Whitman JM, Sopky BJ, Godges JJ, Flynn TW; American Physical Therapy Association. Neck pain: clinical practice guidelines linked to the International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health from the Orthopaedic Section of the American Physical Therapy Association. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2008; 38 (9): A1–A34.
- Dizon JM, Matsuoka M, Lat J, et al. The role of physical therapy in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2014; 44 (11): 850–859.
- Geneen LJ, Moore RA, Clarke C, Martin D, Colvin LA, Smith BH. Physical activity and exercise for chronic pain in adults: an overview of Cochrane Reviews. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 4 (4): CD011279.
- Hossain MA, Uddin MA, Chowdhury SS, et al. Effectiveness of physiotherapy intervention for post-stroke dysphagia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Top Stroke Rehabil. 2019; 26 (6): 463–471.
- Kamper SJ, Apeldoorn AT, Chiarotto A, Smeets RJ, Ostelo RW, Guzman J, van Tulder MW. Multidisciplinary biopsychosocial rehabilitation for chronic low back pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; (9): CD000963.
- Maher C, Underwood M, Buchbinder R. Non-specific low back pain. Lancet. 2017; 389 (10070): 736–747.
- Moseley GL, Butler DS. Fifteen years of explaining pain: the past, present, and future. J Pain. 2015; 16 (9): 807–813.
- Negrini S, Donzelli S, Arienti C, et al. Evidence-based physical therapy for pelvic floor disorders: a systematic review. Phys Ther. 2010; 90 (2): 278–309.
- O’Connor SR, Tully MA, Ryan B, Bleakley CM, Baxter GD, Bradley JM, McDonough SM. Walking exercise for chronic musculoskeletal pain: systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015; 96 (4): 724.e3–734.e3.
- Piva SR, Almeida GJM, Gil AB, DiGioia AM 3rd, Levison TJ, Fitzgerald GK. A balance exercise program appears to improve function for patients with total knee arthroplasty: a randomized clinical trial. Phys Ther. 2010; 90 (6): 880–894.
- Poitras S, Rossignol M, Dionne CE, Tousignant M, Truchon M, Arsenault B, Allard P, Coté M, Neveu A. An interdisciplinary clinical practice model for the management of low-back pain in primary care: the CLIP project. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2008; 9: 54.
- Sluka KA, Clauw DJ. Neurobiology of fibromyalgia and chronic widespread pain. Neuroscience. 2016; 338: 114–129.
- Smith TO, Hameed YA, Cross JL, et al. Acute versus chronic preoperative knee pain in total knee arthroplasty: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Surg Technol Int. 2017; 30: 507–516.
- American Physical Therapy Association. What Is Physical Therapy? [Online]. 2021. Available at https://www.apta.org/your-career/careers-in-physical-therapy/what-is-physical-therapy
- World Confederation for Physical Therapy. Policy Statement: Description of Physical Therapy. [Online]. 2020. Available at https://world.physio/sites/default/files/2020-12/Description_of_PT_2020.pdf
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Low Back Pain and Sciatica in Over 16s: Assessment and Management. [Online]. 2019. Available at https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng59
- Stroke Rehabilitation [Online]. Available at https://www.physio-pedia.com/Stroke_Rehabilitation
- Higgs J, Jones MA, Loftus S, Christensen N. Clinical Reasoning in the Health Professions. 4th edition. New York, NY: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2018.
- Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Respiratory Care. Physiotherapy in Respiratory Care: A Clinical Handbook. London, UK: CSP Publications; 2020.
|Received||July 5, 2023|
|Accepted||July 15, 2023|
|Published||July 25, 2023|