- Professor, Department of Medical Surgical Nursing, OP Jindal College of Nursing, Bellary, Karnataka, India
- Assistant Professor, Department of Medical Surgical Nursing, OP Jindal College of Nursing, Bellary, Karnataka, India
- Assistant Professor, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecological Nursing, OP Jindal College of Nursing, Bellary, Karnataka, India
Mallory-Weiss syndrome is one the condition resulted in tear or laceration in the distal part of the esophagus and upper part of the stomach which is caused by excessive consumption of alcohol, massive use of carbonated drinks and gastrointestinal irritants. This condition can be diagnosed with the help of reviewing the clinical manifestations and complete blood count, endoscopy, vomitus, and stool examination for presence of blood. This condition can be treated with the Proton pump inhibitors, Antiemetic, intra venous fluids, and plasma expanders and also with the help of surgical management so called Sengstaken-Blakemore tube compression. Nurse should educate the patient regarding causes of this condition and its management.
Keywords: Bleeding, laceration, management, syndrome, vomiting
[This article belongs to International Journal of Medical Surgical Nursing(ijmsn)]
1. Carr JC. The Mallory-Weiss Syndrome. Clin Radiol. 1973;24(1):107–112.
2. Berkow, Robert, Beers, et al. The Merck Manual-Home Edition. 2nd ed. Whitehouse Station NJ; Merck Research Laboratories.2003
3. Dr Gurvinder Rull. (2018, Feb) Mallory-Weiss Tear. [Online] Available from-https://patient. info/digestive-health/vomiting-blood-haematemesis/mallory-weiss-tearing#nav-0
4. Amboss. (2020, Mar.) Mallory-Weiss syndrome. [Online] Available from-https://www.amboss. com/us/knowledge/Mallory-Weiss_syndrome
5. Prashanth Rawla, Joe Devasahayam. (2020, Aug) Mallory Weiss syndrome. [Online] Available from-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK538190/
6. WebMD. (2020) What is portal hypertension. [online] Available from-https://www.webmd. com/digestive-disorders/digestive-diseases-portal#1
7. Medline plus. (2020, Oct.) Hiatal hernia. [Online] Available from-https://medlineplus. gov/hiatalhernia.html
8. Mayoclinic. (2018; May.) Builimia nervosa. [Online] Available from-https://www.mayoclinic. org/diseases-conditions/bulimia/symptoms-causes/syc-20353615
9. Grow by webMD. (2020) What is hyperemesis gravidarum? [Online] Available from-https:// www.webmd.com/baby/what-is-hyperemesis-gravidarum#1
10. Kyle J. Fortinsky, Alan N. Barkun. Clinical Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 3rd ed. 2019.
11. Drugs.com. (2021, Mar.) Mallory-Weiss Syndrome. [Online] Available from-https://www.drugs. com/cg/mallory-weiss-syndrome.html
12. Carmen Cuffari, MD. (2016, June) Mallory-Weiss Syndrome Treatment & Management. [Online] Available from-https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/931141-treatment
13. John Hopkins Medicines. Mallory Weiss tear. [Online] Available from-https://www. hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/malloryweiss-tear
|Received||November 20, 2020|
|Accepted||December 28, 2020|
|Published||February 21, 2021|