Tajdar Husain Khan
- Division of Biological Research, Innovatek Biosolutions, LLP, New Delhi, India
- Division of Biological Research, Innovatek Biosolutions, LLP, New Delhi, India
- , Section of Water Quality and Aquaculture, Aspire BioSolutions, Pihani, Uttar Pradesh, India
The probiotics are generally defined as beneficial organisms showing beneficial effects under certain amount. Vigorous research has demonstrated the potential of probiotics in a number of conditions, including prevention of diseases, management of proper health status among humans. In contrast, the role of probiotics in animal is not much studied in comparison to human probiotics despite their great potential of improvement of several biotechnological industries. The role of probiotics in fish growth is also evident in a number of studies. Proper knowledge of suitable probiotic strain in addition to information about probiotics for their increased yield can get astonishing results for their potential in improvement of pisciculture industry. Though natural bacteria may exert probiotics effects on fish growth, but the cataloging of probiotics need more in-depth studies for identification of proper conditions and bacterial strains for maximum utilization. This article highlights current status of probiotics in fish industry their knowledge gaps and potential opportunities.
Keywords: Probiotics, growth, fish industry, siderophores, aquaculture
[This article belongs to Research & Reviews : Journal of Veterinary Science and Technology(rrjovst)]
1. Hai, N.V., 2015. The use of probiotics in aquaculture. Journal of applied microbiology, 119(4), pp.917-935.
2. Khan, A.A., Khurshid, M., Khan, S. and Alshamsan, A., 2013. Gut microbiota and probiotics: current status and their role in cancer therapeutics. Drug Development Research, 74(6), pp.365-375.
3. Khan, A.A., Nema, V. and Khan, Z., 2021. Current status of probiotics for prevention and management of gastrointestinal cancers. Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, 21(3), pp.413-422.
4. Govindaraj, K., Samayanpaulraj, V., Narayanadoss, V. and Uthandakalaipandian, R., 2021. Isolation of Lactic Acid Bacteria from Intestine of Freshwater Fishes and Elucidation of Probiotic Potential for Aquaculture Application. Probiotics and Antimicrobial Proteins, pp.1-13.
5. Kautsky, N., Rönnbäck, P., Tedengren, M. and Troell, M., 2000. Ecosystem perspectives on management of disease in shrimp pond farming. Aquaculture, 191(1-3), pp.145-161.
6. Glushchenko, E. S., E. I. Vialkova and O. V. Sidorenko (2019), ‘Probiotics as one of methods for dairy wastewaters’ treatment intensification’, IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng., 687 066079.
7. Mishra, C. and Lambert, J., 1996. Production of antimicrobial substances by probiotics. Asian Pacific J Clinic Nutr.[internte].[Citado 2014 Noviembre 17]; 5 (1): 20-24.
8. Ocaña, V.S. and Nader-Macías, M.E., 2004. Production of antimicrobial substances by lactic acid bacteria II. In Public Health Microbiology (pp. 347-353). Humana Press.
9. Silva, D.R., Sardi, J.D.C.O., de Souza Pitangui, N., Roque, S.M., da Silva, A.C.B. and Rosalen, P.L., 2020. Probiotics as an alternative antimicrobial therapy: Current reality and future directions. Journal of Functional Foods, 73, p.104080.
10. Raheem, A., Liang, L., Zhang, G. and Cui, S., 2021. Modulatory effects of probiotics during pathogenic infections with emphasis on immune regulation. Frontiers in Immunology, 12.
11. Chu, W., Lu, F., Zhu, W. and Kang, C., 2011. Isolation and characterization of new potential probiotic bacteria based on quorum‐sensing system. Journal of applied microbiology, 110(1),
12. Simón, R., Docando, F., Nuñez-Ortiz, N., Tafalla, C. and Díaz-Rosales, P., 2021. Mechanisms used by probiotics to confer pathogen resistance to teleost fish. Frontiers in Immunology, 12.
13. Lazado, C.C. and Caipang, C.M.A., 2014. Mucosal immunity and probiotics in fish. Fish & shellfish immunology, 39(1), pp.78-89.
14. Standen, B.T., Peggs, D.L., Rawling, M.D., Foey, A., Davies, S.J., Santos, G.A. and Merrifield, D.L., 2016. Dietary administration of a commercial mixed-species probiotic improves growth
performance and modulates the intestinal immunity of tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus. Fish & Shellfish Immunology, 49, pp.427-435.
15. Martínez Cruz, P., Ibáñez, A.L., Monroy Hermosillo, O.A. and Ramírez Saad, H.C., 2012. Use of probiotics in aquaculture. ISRN Microbiol 2012: 916845.
16. Kozasa, M. (1986), ‘Toyocerin (Bacillus toyoi) as growth promotor for animal feeding. ‘, Microbiologie Aliments Nutrition, 4(2): 121–135.
17. Gomez-Gil, B., A. Roque and J. F. Turnbull (2000), ‘The use and selection of probiotic bacteria for use in the culture of larval aquatic organisms’, Aquaculture, 191 (1): 259-270.
18. Moriarty, D. J. W. (1998), ‘Control of luminous Vibrio species in penaeid aquaculture ponds’, Aquaculture, 164 (1): 351-358.
19. Irianto, A. and Austin, B., 2002. Probiotics in aquaculture. Journal of fish diseases, 25(11), pp.633-642.
20. Verschuere, L., Rombaut, G., Sorgeloos, P. and Verstraete, W., 2000. Probiotic bacteria as biological control agents in aquaculture. Microbiology and molecular biology reviews, 64(4),
21. Vázquez Lizardi, G., Hernández Rubio, R., Sainz Espúñez, T., González Cervantes, R., Martínez Cruz, P., Mayorga Reyes, L. and Azaola Espinosa, A., 1996. Cambio en la flora intestinal de
ratones por la administración de bifidobacterias y jugo de girasol. Vet. Méx, pp.127-31.
22. Chang, C.I. and Liu, W.Y., 2002. An evaluation of two probiotic bacterial strains, Enterococcus faecium SF68 and Bacillus toyoi, for reducing edwardsiellosis in cultured European eel, Anguilla anguilla L. Journal of Fish Diseases, 25(5), pp.311-315.
23. Nikoskelainen, S., Ouwehand, A., Salminen, S. and Bylund, G., 2001. Protection of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) from furunculosis by Lactobacillus rhamnosus. Aquaculture, 198(3-4),pp.229-236.
24. Scholz, U., Diaz, G.G., Ricque, D., Suarez, L.C., Albores, F.V. and Latchford, J., 1999. Enhancement of vibriosis resistance in juvenile Penaeus vannamei by supplementation of diets with different yeast products. Aquaculture, 176(3-4), pp.271-283.
25. Al‐Dohail, M.A., Hashim, R. and Aliyu‐Paiko, M., 2011. Evaluating the use of Lactobacillus acidophilus as a biocontrol agent against common pathogenic bacteria and the effects on the
haematology parameters and histopathology in African catfish Clarias gariepinus juveniles. Aquaculture Research, 42(2), pp.196-209.
26. Mujeeb Rahiman, K.M., Jesmi, Y., Thomas, A.P. and Mohamed Hatha, A.A., 2010. Probiotic effect of Bacillus NL110 and Vibrio NE17 on the survival, growth performance and immune response of Macrobrachium rosenbergii (de Man). Aquaculture research, 41(9), pp.e120-e134.
27. Al‐Dohail, M.A., Hashim, R. and Aliyu‐Paiko, M., 2009. Effects of the probiotic, Lactobacillus acidophilus, on the growth performance, haematology parameters and immunoglobulin
concentration in African Catfish (Clarias gariepinus, Burchell 1822) fingerling. Aquaculture Research, 40(14), pp.1642-1652.28. Zhou, X.X., Wang, Y.B. and Li, W.F., 2009. Effect of probiotic on larvae shrimp (Penaeus
vannamei) based on water quality, survival rate and digestive enzyme activities. Aquaculture, 287(3-4), pp.349-353.
29. Carnevali, O., de Vivo, L., Sulpizio, R., Gioacchini, G., Olivotto, I., Silvi, S. and Cresci, A., 2006.
Growth improvement by probiotic in European sea bass juveniles (Dicentrarchus labrax, L.), with particular attention to IGF-1, myostatin and cortisol gene expression. Aquaculture, 258(1-4), pp.430-438.
30. Saxelin, M., Rautelin, H., Salminen, S. and Mäkelä, P.H., 1996. Safety of commercial products with viable Lactobacillus strains. Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice, 5(5), pp.331-335.
31. Lahtinen, S. J., R. J. Boyle, A. Margolles, R. Frías and M. Gueimonde (2009), ‘Safety assessment of probiotics. ‘, Prebiotics and Probiotics Science and Technology.: 1193–1235.
32. Shakibazadeh, S., C. R. Saad, A. Christianus, M. S. Kamarudin, K. Sijam and P. Sinaian (2011), ‘Assessment of possible human risk of probiotic application in shrimp farming. ‘, International Food Research Journal., 18: 433–437.
|Received||September 27, 2021|
|Accepted||November 19, 2021|
|Published||January 10, 2022|