Mohd. Furqan Ahmad Patel
Khan Nazema Sultana
Riyazoddin Shaikh Kasam
Tanveer Ahmad Khan
- Assistant Professor, Department of Amraz-e-Atfal (Pediatric), ZVM Unani Medical College and Hospital, , India
The Immune systems protect the host in opposition to infectious and poisonous diseases and guard from contagious agents present in the environment, such as viruses, fungi, bacteria, and parasites. Blood performs an essential position in enhancing immunity because of the arrival of white blood cells or tissues that combat in opposition to infectious diseases. Sometimes they are not able to understand those organisms. Due to this reason, we want to reinforce immunity with a balanced diet that consists of essential nutrients. Newly developed severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS CoV-2) passed off in December 2019, referred to as coronavirus sickness seemed in Wuhan, Hubei Province, in China and later daily unfold everywhere in the international nearly 88 international locations suffering from this virus. Symptoms have ranged from moderate to extreme. Serious sign and symptoms are issue in respiratory lack of speech and chest ache or pressure, in addition to the detrimental impact at the immune system, that’s why human beings with the weaker immune system can also additionally cause demise. Still, there is no vaccine in opposition to this sickness, however this could be managed with the aid of using eating wholesome diets to reinforce the immune system. Food has usually been a simple need of individual; however, it was understood only as a source of energy that is important for their survival. In the history of medicine, Unani medicine is one of the very first systems of medicine which emphasize the importance of food beyond the source for the maintenance of health and established the notion of akhlat and food. Increase dairy food intakes like colostrum, yogurt, and cheese or fermented dairy drinks; devour culmination and veggies, cereals, herbs and spices, functional and nutraceutical meals to bolster the immune system. Citrus culmination which are the richest supply of vitamin-C, performs a critical position in immuneboosting because of its antioxidant properties and combat in opposition to infectious diseases. Limit the quantity of salt, sugar, and fiber; devour masses of water to preserve hydrated, wash arms keep away from assembly or gatherings.
Keywords: Immune system, Coronavirus disease, Immune boosting meals, Prevention of Covid-19, SARS CoV-2, Unani system of medication, Quwwat-e-Mudabbira Badan
[This article belongs to Research & Reviews : A Journal of Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy(rrjoush)]
1. Rasoul, M., Rokhsareh, M., Mohammad, S. M., Sajad, K., & Ahmadreza, M. (2019). The Human Immune System against Staphylococcus epidermidis. Critical Reviews™ in Immunology, 39(3).
2. Rich, R. R., & Chaplin, D. D. (2019). The human immune response. In Clinical Immunology (pp. 3-17).
3. Segerstrom, S. C., & Miller, G. E. (2004). Psychological stress and the human immune system: a meta-analytic study of 30 years of inquiry. Psychological bulletin, 130(4): 601.
4. Sompayrac, L. M. (2019). How the immune system works. John Wiley & Sons.
5. Song, F., Shi, N., Shan, F., Zhang, Z., Shen, J., Lu, H., … & Shi, Y. (2020). Emerging 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) pneumonia. Radiology, 295(1): 210-217.
6. Huang, C., Wang, Y., Li, X., Ren, L., Zhao, J., Hu, Y., … & Cheng, Z. (2020). Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. The lancet, 395(10223): 497-506.
7. Lai, C. C., Shih, T. P., Ko, W. C., Tang, H. J., & Hsueh, P. R. (2020). Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19): the epidemic and the challenges. International journal of antimicrobial agents, 105924.
8. Team, B. E. (2019). Key Foods to Boost the Immune System. Biotics Research Blog, 15.
9. Ahmad HSI, Introduction to Al Ummore lil Tabiyaah CCRUM New Delhi. 1980: Ist Ed: 16-17, 32-34, 36- 37,75-82.
10. Nasiruddin M et al. The Concept of Tabiat in Unani System of Medicine Hippocratic. Journal of Unani Medicine 2017; 12: 1-5.
11. Majoosi AIA. Kamilussana (Urdu Translation) Idara Kitabul Shifa New Delhi. 2010: 11,24.
12. Cong, L., Mirosa, M., Kaye-Blake, W., & Bremer, P. (2020). Immune-boosting functional foods: A potential remedy for Chinese consumers living under polluted air. Business and Management Studies, 6(1), 12-27.
13. Godhia, M. L., & Patel, N. (2013). Colostrum–its Composition, Benefits as a Nutraceutical–A Review. Current Research in Nutrition and Food Science Journal, 1(1):37-47.
14. Ohr, L. M. (2005). Nutraceuticals & functional foods. Immunity, 59(1). Young, D., Schreuder, M., & Chao, S. (2005). U.S. Patent Application No. 11/061: 472.
15. Kamboj, A., Jain, A., Singh, T. Shaikh, A., & Gupta, A. (2020). β-glucan: Immune boosting potential and antioxidant candidate. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences, 11(1): 491-496.
16. Sanderson, S. (2020). Immune System Defence with Vitamin C and Magnesium.
17. Kalantar-Zadeh, K., & Moore, L. W. (2020). Impact of Nutrition and Diet on COVID-19 Infection and Implications for Kidney Health and Kidney Disease Management. Journal of Renal Nutrition, 30(3): 179-181.
18. Cong, L., Bremer, P., Kaye-Blake, W., & Mirosa, M. (2020). Chinese consumers perceptions of immune health and immune-boosting remedies including functional foods. Journal of Food Products Marketing, 26(1): 55-78.
19. Radha, S. (2020). Increasing Fruits and Vegetable Consumption to Protect Against Viral Diseases.
20. Kisangau, D. P. (2017). Indigenous leafy vegetables with potential medicinal and immune boosting properties
21. Platel, K. (2020). Functional foods in Indian tradition and their significance for health. In Nutritional and Health Aspects of Food in South Asian Countries (pp. 87-98). Academic Press.
22. Van Schoor, R. (2019). Boosting your immune system: supplements. SA Pharmacist’s Assistant, 19(3): 31-32.
23. Mohammed, S. G., & Qoronfleh, M. W. (2020). Nuts. In Personalized Food Intervention and Therapy for Autism Spectrum Disorder Management (pp. 395-419). Springer, Cham.
24. Costa, J., Silva, I., Vicente, A. A., Oliveira, M. B. P., & Mafra, I. (2019). Pistachio nut allergy: An updated overview. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition, 59(4): 546-562.
25. Sonali. S G. Antiviral and Immunity modulating National Herbs in the prevention of COVID-19. Journal of pharmacognosy and phytochemistry, 13 (2), 2021. DOI. 10.52711//0975-4385.2021.00014
26. Irshad, M., Subhani, M. A., Ali, S., & Hussain, A. (2019). Biological Importance of Essential Oils. In Essential Oils-Oils of Nature. IntechOpen.
27. Chauhan, M., Garg, V., Zia, G., & Dutt, R. (2020). Potential Role of Phytochemicals of Fruits and Vegetables in Human Diet. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 13(3): 1587-1591.
28. Nettleton, B. (2020). The 8 Best Foods for Juicing. cancer, 2, 7.
29. Ayed, L., Mhir, S., & Hamdi, M. (2020). Microbiological, Biochemical, and Functional Aspects of Fermented Vegetable and Fruit Beverages. Journal of Chemistry, 2020.
30. Platel, K. (2020). Functional foods in Indian tradition and their significance for health. In Nutritional and Health Aspects of Food in South Asian Countries (pp. 87-98). Academic Press.
31. Mhlongo, N. T., Tekere, M., & Sibanda, T. (2019). Prevalence and public health implications of mycotoxigenic fungi in treated drinking water systems. Journal of water and health, 17(4): 517-531.
32. WHO Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Report – 53, MARCH 2020 https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/ coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200313-sitrep-53-covid-19. pdf?sfvrsn=adb3f72_2
33. WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public. https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavi- rus-2019/advice-for-public
34. Ministry of AYUSH recommends the following self-care guidelines for preventive health measures and boosting immunity. https:// www.ayush.gov.in/docs/123.pdf
35. Guidelines for unani practitioners for Covid 19. Government of india ministry of Ayush
36. Ahmad al-Hasan Jurjani. Zakhira Khwar zam Shahi Vol. 3 (Part-10). Urdu Translation by Hakim Hadi Husain Khan. Munshi Nawal Kishore, Lucknow. 1878. p. 1796.
37. The medical importance of Cydonia oblonga- A review Prof Dr Ali Esmail Al- Snafi Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, Thi qar University, Nasiriyah, P O Box, 42, Iraq IOSR Journal of Pharmacy. www.iosrphr.org (e)-ISSN: 2250-3013, (p)-ISSN: 2319-4219 Volume 6, Issue 6 Version. 2 (June 2016), PP. 87-99
38. Hamauzu Y, Yasui H, Inno T, Kume C, Omanyuda M. Phenolic profile, antioxidant property, and anti-influenza viral activity of Chinese quince (Pseudocydonia sinensis Schneid.), quince (Cydonia oblonga Mill.), and apple (Malus domestica Mill.) fruits. J Agric Food Chem. 2005 Feb 23;53(4):928-34.
39. Hong EH, Song JH, Kang KB, et al. Anti-influenza activity of betulinic acid from on influenza A/PR/8 virus. Biomol Ther. 2015;23(4):345–349. doi:10.4062/biomolther.2015.019
40. Chi A, Kang C, Zhang Y, Tang L, Guo H, Li H, Zhang K. Immunomodulating and antioxidant effects of polysaccharide conjugates from the fruits of Ziziphus Jujube on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome rats. Carbohydr Polym. 2015 May 20; 122:189-96. doi: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2014.12.082. Epub 2015 Jan 14.
41. Ali WR, Al-Asady ZT and Ibrahim AA. Immunomodulatory of Cordia myxa (L.) aqueous extract fruit in immunized mice with hydatid cyst fluid. Journal of NaturalScience Research 2015; 5(10): 75-83.
42. Ad-Dahhan HAA. Detection of Immunomodulatory activity of alcoholic extractof Cordia myxa (L.) fruit. AL-Qadisyia Journal of Applied Sciences 2010; 15(4): 1-8.
43. Al-Bayaty MAA and Al-Tahan FJ. Mechanism of the tracheal smooth muscle relaxant activity of the Cordia myxa plant extract in sheep. Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Medicine, 2008; 32(2): 214-226.
44. Afzal M, Obuekwe C, Khan AR and Barakat H. Antioxidant activity of Cordiamyxa L. and its hepatoprotective potential. EJEAF Che 2007; 8(6): 2236-2242.
45. Subbiah V, Nagaraja P, Narayan P, Nagendra HGR. Evaluation of Pharmacological Properties of Caesalpinia bonducella Seed and Shell Extract. Pharmacogn J. 2019; 11(1):150-154
46. Archana P, Tandan SK, Chandra S, Lal J, Antipyretic and Analgesic Activities ofCaesalpinia Bonducella Seed Kernel Extract, Phytother Res, 2005, 19 (5), 376-81.
47. Anonymous, 2013, Essential Drugs List-Unani Medicine, Ministry of AYUSH, New Delhi, 2-4.
48. National Formulary of Unani Medicine, Part-1. New Delhi: MOHFW. 2006, p-190.
|Received||September 5, 2021|
|Accepted||October 10, 2021|
|Published||December 15, 2021|