Mohd Furqan Ahmad Patel
Nafisa Qibriya Khan
Khan Nazma Mukhtar
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Amraz-e-Atfal (Pediatric), ZVM Unani Medical College and Hospital, Pune, Maharashtra, India
- PG. Scholar, Dept. of Moalijat, Z.V.M. Unani Medical College and Hospital Pune, Maharashtra, India
- Associate Professor and HOD, Dept. of Tahaffuzi wa Samaji Tib (PSM), Iqra Unani Medical College, Jalgaon, Maharashtra, India
- Associate Professor and HOD, Dept. of Ilmul Saidla wa Murakkabat, Iqra Unani Medical College, Jalgaon, Maharashtra, India
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a pandemic disease of modern time with unique and rapid transmission rate and affected almost all the nations without respecting any border. World Health Organization stated it is an infective disease and pandemic. The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID- 19) which created in Wuhan, China, has now spread to 192 countries and organizational regions infecting nearly 800,000 persons of all ages as of 31 March 2020. In these most infected individuals who reveal minor symptoms like fever, upper respiratory tract symptoms, shortness of breath, and diarrhea. Severe cases of infection can lead to pneumonia, multiple organ failure, and death. Worldwide, at least 7900 deaths have been directly attributed to COVID-19, and this number is expected to rise with the ongoing epidemic. This is particularly crucial as the current outburst involves a new pathogen (SARS-CoV-2), on which limited knowledge happens of its infectivity and clinical profile. Research is going on therapeutic effectiveness of various agents including anti- malarial (Chloroquine and Hydroxychloroquine), antiviral drugs, and convalescent serum of recovered patients. Unani system of medicine is one of the old systems of medicine which is being discovered for providing preventive, sympathetic and rehabilitative care to patients. It has a detailed description of drugs that are used in many infectious diseases, including respiratory infections, gastrointestinal infections, etc. Immune response is necessary to eliminate virus and to stop disease development to severe stages. Therefore, it is very important to review the evidence about the preventive measures, control options such as immune-stimulator and prophylactic treatment in Unani medicine against COVID-19. This review precise various pharmacological actions of Unani formulation Tiryaq-e-Arba in unani texts and various stated pharmacological activities which can maybe provide prevention, control and decline of complications of this pandemic disease.
Keywords: Coronavirus Disease 2019, COVID–19, SARS-CoV-2, Wabai Marz, Tiryaq-e-Arba, Immune response, Unani system of medicine
[This article belongs to Research & Reviews : Journal of Herbal Science(rrjohs)]
1. Watts S. Epidemics and history: Disease power and imperialism. New haven, Conn: Yale University press; 1997.
2. Ruffer MA, Ferguson AR. Note on an eruption resembling that of variola in the skin of a mummy of the twentieth Dynasty (1200-1100 B.C). J patho Bacterial 1911; 15:1-4p.
3. Temkin O. Hippocrates in a world of Pagans and Christians. Baltimore, Md: John Hopkins University press: 1991.
4. Adams F. The genuine works of Hippocrates, Francis Adams Translation. Baltimore, Md: Williams and Wilkins; 1939.
5. Sigerist HE. The great Doctors. New York: WW Norton and company: 1933.
6. Perlman S. Another Decade, Another Coronavirus. N Engl J Med. 2020.
7. Wang C, Horby PW, Hayden FG, Gao GF. A novel coronavirus outbreak of global health concern. Lancet. 2020.
8. Fauci AS, Kasper DL, Hauser SL, Longo DL, Jameson JL, Loscalzo J. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine. 20th ed. New York: McGraw Hill education, 2019; 535
9. Vellingiri B, Jayaramayya K, Iyer M, Narayanasamy A, Govindasamy V, Giridharan B, Ganesan S, Venugopal A, Venkatesan D, Ganesan H, Rajagopalan K. COVID-19: A promising cure for the global panic. Science of the Total Environment, 2020 Apr 4: 138277
10. Cortegiani A, Ingoglia G, Ippolito M, Giarratano A, Einav S. A systematic review on the efficacy and safety of chloroquine for the treatment of COVID-19. Journal of critical care, 2020 Mar 10.
11. Kakodkar P, Kaka N, Baig MN. A Comprehensive Literature Review on the Clinical Presentation, and Management of the Pandemic Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Cureus, 2020 Apr; 12(4).
12. Rocklov J, Sjodin H, Wilder-Smith A. COVID-19 outbreak on the Diamond Princess cruise ship: estimating the epidemic potential and effectiveness of public health countermeasures. Journal of travel medicine, 2020 Feb 28.
13. Li G, Fan Y, Lai Y, Han T, Li Z, Zhou P, Pan P, Wang W, Hu D, Liu X, Zhang Q. Coronavirus infections and immune responses. Journal of medical virology, 2020 Apr; 92(4):424-32.
14. Misra DP, Agarwal V, Gasparyan AY, Zimba O. Rheumatologists’ perspective on coronavirus disease 19 (COVID-19) and potential therapeutic targets. Clinical Rheumatology, 2020 Apr 10: 1.
15. Khan MA. Al-Akseer (Urdu transalation by kabeeruddin M). Vol 2. New Delhi: Ejaz publication house, 2003; 916-20.
16. Peeri NC, Shrestha N, Rahman MS, Zaki R, Tan Z, Bibi S, Baghbanzadeh M, Aghamohammadi N, Zhang W, Haque U. The SARS, MARS and novel coronavirus(COVID-19) epidemics. The newest and biggest global health threats: what lessons have we learned? International journal of epidemiology, 2020; feb 22.
17. https://www.google.com/search?q=corona+virus+image&rlz=1C1EXJR [Cite: INTERNET]
18. Kabiruddin-HM. Hummiyat-e-Qanoon New Delhi: CCRUM, 2009.
19. Razi Z, Kitab al-Hawi, Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine, New Delhi, 2008; pp. 309-318.
20. Samarqandi N, Al-asbab wa-alam’at (Kabiruddin Urdu translation), Aijaz Publishing house, New Delhi, 2007; pp. 499-506.
21. Ober WB, Aloush N, The plague at Granada, 1348-1349: Ibn AlKhatib and ideas of contagion, Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine, 1982; 58(4):418–424
22. Ibn Sina. Al Qanoon fil Tib. (Urdu translation by Kantoori GH). New Delhi: Idara Kitabul Shifa ; 2007.327, 1205-07.
23. Jurjani I, Zakheera Khawarzam Shahi. (Urdu translation by Khan HH). Vol 5. New Delhi: Idara Kitabush Shifa; 2010. 93-5p.
24. Majusi AIA.Kamilus Sanaa. Vol.2. (Urdu translation by Kantoori GH) New Delhi: Idara Kitabush Shifa; 2010.18-84,172, 226,245-47,450-57p.
26. Arzani, M. Akbar. Tibb-e-akbar(Urdu translation by hakeeem M. Hussain), IdaraKitab-u-Shifa, kuchaChalan New Delhi, P.6 72-74.
27. Sahin AR, Erdogan A, Agaoglu PM, Dineri Y, Cakirci AY, Senel ME, OKyay, Tasdogan AM. 2019 Novel Coronavirus(COVID-19) Outbreak: A Review of theCureent Literature. EJMO, 2020; 4(1): 1-7.
28. Ismail J. Vol. 5. New Delhi: Kitab al Shifa; 2010. Zakhirakhuarzamshahi; p. 94.
29. Kabeeruddin M. Lahore: Siddiqui Publications; 1921. BayazeKabeer; p. 12. 36.
30. Hakeem Azam Khan, Mukhzan ul mujarribat; (an Urdu translation known as Qarabadeene azam by Maulvi Azmat Ali Hasrat Lucknawi):Azaj publication house: New Delhi:1996:25
31. Jeelani G. Makhzanul Murakkabaat. New Delhi: Aijaz Publishing House;1995:27
32. Arzani A, Qarabadeen Qadri, Aijaz publishing house, New Delhi, 1998; pp. 511. 11
33. Anonymous, National Formulary of Unani Medicine, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Dept. of AYUSH, New Delhi, part (1):154
34. https://www.google.com/search?q=tiryaq+e+arba+images&tbm=isch&ved [Cite: INTERNET]
35. A.A. Khan, F. Bashir, J. Akhtar. Tiryaq e arba: A classical Unani Formulation to boost immunity. Journal of Drug Delivery & Therapeutics. ISSN: 2250-1177. 2020; 10(4-s):259-263
36. Ibn Sina.Al Qanoon fit Tib (Urdu Translation by Kantoori GH). Vol.1-5. New Delhi: Idara Kitabishifa; YNM: 1464.
37. National formulary of unani medicine, part-1, first reprint, GOI. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, dept of AYUSH, New Delhi: CCRUM; 2006: 154. 80.
38. Arzani A. Qarabadeene quadri. Aejaz publishing house: New Delhie: 1998: 511. 81.
39. Khan MS. Bayaze khaas al maroof ilajul amraaz (Urdu translat Hyderabad: ion by Kabeeruddin M). Aezaj publishing house: New Delhi:2006:796.
40. Kabeeruddin M. Bayaze Kabir.Vol.2. 15th Edition; Hikmat book depot:Hyderabad 1977-78:16
41. Arzani A, Meezan ul Tib (Urdu), 1st Edition: pp-178-81,756. 13.
42. Kabeeruddin HM, Al Qarabadeen, Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine, New Delhi, 2006; pp-1212.
43. Kabeeruddin HM, Al Qarabadeen-Volume II, Malik son’s publishers, Faisalabad, YNM; pp-413
44. Kabeeruddin HM, Sharah Asbab-Volume III, Shaukat Book Depot, Gujrat, YNM; pp-180-186
45. Jurjani A, Zakhira Khwarzam Shahi (Hadi Husain Khan Urdu Translation), Munshi Nawal Kishore, Lucknow, 1878; 3(10):1796.
46. Anonymous, Essential Drugs List-Unani Medicine, Ministry of AYUSH, New Delhi, 2013; pp. 2-4
47. Accessed from Bay(Laurusnobilis) Garden guides http://www.gardenguides.com/442-nay-laurus-nobilis.html)
48. Colonel K.R. Kirtikar. Indian medicinal plants with illustration. 2nd Edition. vol9. Deharadun: oriental enterprises; 2003:2927-2930.
49. Accessed from Jain and Gupta, 1962; Bhat et al., 1974 www.himalayahealthcare.com/pdf_ files/cystone008.pd cited on 2012 April 24
50. Kabeeruddin M. Mukhzunal Mufradat. Tibbiya college Delhi. 163
51. Accessed from http://envis.frlht.org/trade , Cited on 2012 Jan 23
52. Kabeeruddin M. Kulliyate Qanoon (Urdu Translation) Vol.1. New Delhi: Aijaz Publishing House; 2007: 20-56.
53. Kabeeruddin M. Mukhzunal Mufradat. Faisal publications: New Delhi: 2000: 225.
54. Accessed from http://www.prcupcc.org/herbs/herbsl/longbirthwort.htm, Cited on date 29.12.2011
|Received||June 7, 2021|
|Accepted||July 5, 2021|
|Published||August 25, 2021|