- Facultad de Ciencias Físicas, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, , Spain
- Facultad de Ciencias Físicas, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, , Spain
This paper is focused on the development of a second stage of a previous work where the PV panel efficiency is improved by using a hybrid system made up of a PCM attached to the rear side of the panel. This evolved stage incorporates a heat sink unit to improve the distribution of the heat removed from the panel; this improvement reduces the elapsed time to reach the steady state in the PCM, thus in the PV panel. A shorter time generates not only a lower operational temperature, but also a higher efficiency since the photovoltaic panel evolves in a dynamic situation due to continuous changes in solar radiation. Temperature reduction depends on solar radiation level, from barely 2.5ºC, at early morning or late afternoon, where solar radiation is low, up to a maximum of 14.5ºC at midday for a solar radiation level of 900 W/m2. The PV panel efficiency has been improved up to 9% for the peak solar radiation at midday. Tests have proved the most effective period in PV efficiency improvement is in the range of ± 4 hours around midday based on an average solar day of 12 h. Efficiency improvement in this period is over 6.9% in the whole range. Outside this range, the efficiency improvement drops to a less of 3%. The global efficiency obtained using the hybrid heat sink-PCM system varies from 8.54% at early morning or late afternoon to 14.64% around midday. A correlation process has been developed to predict the temperature evolution of the PV panel under specific solar radiation conditions. The correlation predicts hourly values of PV panel efficiency improvement as well as global efficiency within almost 100% accuracy.
Keywords: PV panel heat removal. Hybrid heat sink-PCM device. Efficiency improvement
[This article belongs to Journal of Thermal Engineering and Applications(jotea)]
1. Someshwar S. Bhakre, Pravin D.Sawarkar, Vilas R.Kalamkar (2021) Performance evaluation of PV panel surfaces exposed to hydraulic cooling – A review, Solar Energy Volume 224, Pages 1193-1209.
2. Akbar Maleki, Arman Haghighi, Mamdouh El Haj Assad, Ibrahim Mahariq, Mohammad Alhuyi Nazari (2020) A review on the approaches employed for cooling PV cells, Solar Energy, Volume 209, Pages 170-185.
3. Abdulhammed K.Hamzat, Ahmet Z.Sahin, Mayowa I.Omisanya, Luai M.Alhems (2021) Advances in PV and PVT cooling technologies: A review, Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, Volume 47, 101360.
4. Shrey Verma, Subhashree Mohapatra, Subhankar Chowdhury, Gaurav Dwivedi (2021) Cooling techniques of the PV module: A review, Materials Today, Proceedings, Volume 38, Part 1, Pages 253-258.
5. Akbar Maleki, Arman Haghighi, Mamdouh El Haj Assad, Ibrahim Mahariq, Mohammad Alhuyi Nazarih (2020) A review on the approaches employed for cooling PV cells, Solar Energy, Volume 209, Pages 170-185.
6. Challa Babu, P. Ponnambalam (2017) The role of thermoelectric generators in the hybrid PV/T systems: A review, Energy Conversion and Management, Volume 151, Pages 368-385.
7. Mohamed Fterich, Houssam Chouikhi, Sadoth Sandoval-Torres, Hatem Bentaher, Ahmed Elloumi, Aref Maalej (2021) Numerical simulation and experimental characterization of the heat transfer in a PV/T air collector prototype, Case Studies in Thermal Engineering, Volume 27, 101209.
8. Fazlay Rubbi, Khairul Habib, R.Saidur, Navid Aslfattahi, Syed Mohd Yahya, Likhan Dasa (2020) Performance optimization of a hybrid PV/T solar system using, Soybean oil/MXene nanofluids as A new class of heat transfer fluids, Solar Energy, Volume 208, Pages 124-138.
9. Nasrin Abdollahi, Masoud Rahimi (2020) Potential of water natural circulation coupled with nano-enhanced PCM for PV module cooling, Renewable Energy, Volume 147, Part 1, Pages 302-309.
10. Nabil A.S. Elminshawy, A.M.I. Mohamed, K. Morad, Y. Elhenawy, Abdulrahman A. Alrobaian (2019) Performance of PV panel coupled with geothermal air cooling system subjected to hot climatic, Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 148, Pages 1-9.
11. Rouhollah Salehi, Ahmad Jahanbakhshi, Mahmood Reza Golzarian, Mehdi Khojastehpour (2021) Evaluation of solar panel cooling systems using anodized heat sink equipped with thermoelectric module through the parameters of temperature, power and efficiency, Energy Conversion and Management: X, Volume 11, 100102.
12. Adeel Waqas, Jie Ji (2017) Thermal management of conventional PV panel using PCM with movable shutters – A numerical study, Solar Energy, Volume 158, Pages 797-807.
13. Rok Stropnik, Uroš Stritih (2016) Increasing the efficiency of PV panel with the use of PCM, Renewable Energy, Volume 97, Pages 671-679.
14. Sajan Preet (2021) A review on the outlook of thermal management of photovoltaic panel using phase change material, Energy and Climate Change, Volume 2, 100033.
15. Sushil Kumar, Robin Thakur, Arvind Singhy, R.K.Tripathi, Muneesh Sethi (2021) A review of heat removal mechanism in concentrated PVT systems using beam splitter, Available online 8 July 2021.
16. Saber Abdo, Hind Saidani-Scott, Jorge Benedic, M.A.Abdelrahman (2020) Hydrogels beads for cooling solar panels: Experimental study, Renewable Energy, Volume 153, June 2020, Pages 777-786.
17. S. Sargunanathan, A. Elango, S. Tharves Mohideen (2016) Performance enhancement of solar photovoltaic cells using effective cooling methods: A review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume 64, October 2016, Pages 382-393.
18. Wassim Salameh, Cathy Castelain, Jalal Faraj, Rabih Murr, Hicham El Hage, Mahmoud Khaled (2021) Improving the efficiency of photovoltaic panels using air exhausted from HVAC systems: Thermal modelling and parametric analysis, Case Studies in Thermal Engineering, Volume 25, June 2021, 100940.
19. Lijie Xu, Jie Ji, Jingyong Cai, Wei Ke, Xinyi Tian, Bendong Yu, Jun Wang (2021) A hybrid PV thermal (water or air) wall system integrated with double air channel and phase change material: A continuous full-day seasonal experimental research, Renewable Energy, Volume 173, Pages 596-613.
20. Alen Rida, Determinación de la mejora del rendimiento en un panel fotovoltaico (Determination of the efficiency improvement in a photovoltaic panel), Master Thesis, Complutense University of Madrid (2012).
21. Jan Wajs, Aleksandra Golabek, Roksana Bochniak, Dariusz Mikielewicz (2020) Air-cooled photovoltaic roof tile as an example of the BIPVT system – An experimental study on the energy and exergy performance, Energy, Volume 197, 117255.
22. Chunrong Zhao, Michael Opolot, Ming Liu, Frank Bruno, Simone Mancin, Kamel Hooman (2021) Phase change behaviour study of PCM tanks partially filled with graphite foam, Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 196, 117313.
23. Zaiguo Fu, Xiaotian Liang, Yang Li, Lingtong Li, Qunzhi Zhu (2021) Performance improvement of a PVT system using a multilayer structural heat exchanger with PCMs, Renewable Energy, Volume 169, Pages 308-317.
24. T. Wongwuttanasatian, T. Sarikarin, A. Suksri (2020) Performance enhancement of a photovoltaic module by passive cooling using phase change material in a finned container heat sink, Solar Energy, Volume 195, Pages 47-53.
25. Preeti Singh, Sourav Khanna, Sanjeev Newar, Vashi Sharma, K. Srinivas Reddy, Tapas K. Mallick, Victor Becerra, Jovana Radulovic, David Hutchinson, Rinat Khusainov (2020) Solar Photovoltaic Panels with Finned Phase Change Material Heat Sinks, Energies, Volume 13, Issue 10, 2558.
26. Idris Al Siyabi, Sourav Khanna, Tapas Mallick, Senthilarasu Sundaram (2018) Multiple Phase Change Material (PCM) Configuration for PCM-Based Heat Sinks—An Experimental Study, Energies, Volume 11, Issue 7, 1629.
27. Abhishek Saxena, Nitin Agarwal, Brian Norton (2021) Design and performance characteristics of an innovative heat sink structure with phase change material for cooling of photovoltaic system, Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, Taylor and Francis online, https://doi.org/10.1080/15567036.2021.1968545 (Accessed on 07/10/2021).
28. Rasool Kalbasi (2021) Introducing a novel heat sink comprising PCM and air – Adapted to electronic device thermal management, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Volume 169, 120914.
29. Maria C.Browne, Brian Norton, Sarah J. McCormack (2016) Heat retention of a photovoltaic/thermal collector with PCM, Solar Energy, Volume 133, Pages 533-548.
30. S.Rahmanian, H.Rahmanian-Koushkaki, P.Omidvar, A.Shahsavar (2021) Nanofluid-PCM heat sink for building integrated concentrated photovoltaic with thermal energy storage and recovery capability, Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, Volume 46, 101223.
31. M. Kenisarin and K. Mahkamov (2007) Solar energy storage using phase change materials, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume 11, Issue 9, Pages 1913–1965.
32. M. M. A. Khan, R. Saidur, F. A. Al-Sulaiman (2017) A review for phase change materials (PCMs) in solar absorption refrigeration systems, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume 76, Issue 9, Pages 105–137.
33. Shuai Zhang, Daili Feng, Lei Shi, Li Wang, Yingai Jin, Limei Tian, Ziyuan Li, Guoyong Wang, Lei Zhao, YuyingYan (2020) A review of phase change heat transfer in shape-stabilized phase change materials (ss-PCMs) based on porous supports for thermal energy storage, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume 135, Issue, August 2020, 110127.
34. Akshayveer, A. P. Singh, A. Kumar, O. P. Singh (2020) Effect of natural convection and thermal storage system on the electrical and thermal performance of a hybrid PV-T/PCM systems, Materials Today Proceedings, Volume 39, Part 5,Pages 1899-1904.
35. M. Tao, L. Zhenpeng, Z. Jiaxin (2019) Photovoltaic panel integrated with phase change materials (PV-PCM): technology overview and materials selection, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume. 116, Issue December 2019, 109406.
36. A. Waqas, J. Jie (2018) Effectiveness of Phase Change Material for Cooling of Photovoltaic Panel for Hot Climate, Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, Trans. ASME, Vol. 140, Issue 4, Pages 1–19.
37. A. McEvoy, T. Markvart, L. Castañer, Practical Handbook of Photovoltaics, 2nd ed.: Fundamentals and Applications, Ed. Academic Press (2011), ISBN: 9780123859341.
38. Sarah Kurtz, Analysis of Photovoltaic System Energy Performance Evaluation Method, Technical Report, NREL/TP-5200-60628, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), November 2013.
39. Antonio Luque, Steven Hegedus, Handbook of Photovoltaic Science and Engineering, Ed. John Wiley and Sons Ltd., 2003.
40. A. Karafil (2016) Temperature and Solar Radiation Effects on Photovoltaic Panel Power, Journal of New Results Sci., Volume 5, Issue 12, Pages 48-58.
41. S. Dubey, J. N. Sarvaiya, B. Seshadri (2013) Temperature dependent photovoltaic (PV) efficiency and its effect on PV production in the world – A review, Energy Procedia, Volume 33, Pages 311–321.
42. C. Armenta-Déu (2021) Analysis of the performance of a PV-PCM system in variable solar radiation conditions, Journal of Alternate Energy Sources and Technology, Volume 12, Issue 1, Pages 1-20.
43. EU SCIENCE HUB, JRC Photovoltaic Geographical Information System (PVGIS) – European Commission. https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/es/tools.html (accessed March, 08, 2021).
44. How hot do solar panels get?. Effect of temperature on PV panel efficiency, Greentumble, Solar Energy, March 12, 2018, https://greentumble.com/effect-of-temperature-on-solar-panel-efficiency/ (Accessed, October 08, 2021).
45. Lizeth Mosquera, Thermodynamic photovoltaic panels: Stage II: Improvement of the design to increase thermal efficiency in heat removal, Master Thesis, Complutense University of Madrid (2021).
46. K.Senthil Kumar, S.Revanth, D.Sanjeev, P.Sabesh Kumar, P.Surya (2021) Experimental investigation of improving the energy conversion efficiency of PV cell by in integrating with PCM, Volume 37, Part 2, Pages 712-716.
47. K.Senthil Kumar, H.Ashwin Kumar, P.Gowtham, S.Hari Selva Kumar, R.Hari Sudhan (2021) Experimental analysis and increasing the energy efficiency of PV cell with nano-PCM (calcium carbonate, silicon carbide, copper), Volume 37, Part 2, Pages 1221-1225.
48. Milad Naderi, Behrooz M.Ziapour, Mohammad Yousefi Gendeshmin (2021) Improvement of photocells by the integration of phase change materials and thermoelectric generators (PV-PCM-TEG) and study on the ability to generate electricity around the clock, Journal of Energy Storage, Volume 36, 102384.
49. N.Soares, J.J.Costa, A.R.Gaspar, T.Matias, P.N.Simões, L.Durães (2020) Can movable PCM-filled TES units be used to improve the performance of PV panels? Overview and experimental case-study, Energy and Buildings, Volume 210, 109743.
|Received||October 11, 2022|
|Accepted||October 18, 2021|
|Published||October 22, 2022|