Maduri Venkat Sai
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, CVR College of Engineering, Telangana, India
- Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, College of Engineering, Osmania University, Telangana, India
Composite laminates are inevitably used in several engineering structures due to their high strength and stiffness to weight ratio. The laminates are subjected to change in moisture content and the flexural behavior leads to change in the strength. Presence of moisutre may induce residual stresses and strains. Isogeometric analysis is a well-proven method to perform analysis of laminated composite plates. The main focus of this study is to apply isogeometric analysis to determine the flexural response of a simply supported laminated plate having different lamina subjected to a change in moisture content of 1.5%. Classical laminated plate theory without including shear deformation is applied to thin plates in this study. Cubic b-splines were used to model the geometry of the plate. Four different cases of lamina, two symmetric cases which are 0/90/90/0 and 45/-45/-45/45 and two antisymmetric cases of lamina which are 0/90/0/90 and 45/-45/45/-45 have been considered in this study. The bending characteristics of the thin plates which are deformed profile of the laminate along with the distribution of strain energy are shown. The maximum and minimum bending moment are calculated. The results obtained using isogeometric analysis are in good agreement with those results given in the literature obtained using finite element analysis performed with six node linear strain triangular elements.
Keywords: Hygroscopic, Cubic b-splines, Laminates, Simply supported, Symmetric, Anti-symmetric
[This article belongs to Journal of Polymer and Composites(jopc)]
1. Behera RK, Garg K, Patro S.S., et al. Eigen-frequency analysis of spherical shell laminated composite plates with and without central cutouts using finite elements: 3RD International Conference on Materials and Manufacturing Engineering; 2018 March 8–9; Tamil Nadu. India: IOP conference series; 2018.
2. Khaldoon FB. Free vibration analysis of a symmetric and anti-symmetric laminated composite plate with a cutout at the center. Al-Qadisiya Journal for Engineering Sciences. 2009; 2 (2): 324–334.
3. Harsh KB, Jyoti Vimal, Avadesh Kumar Sharma. Study of free vibration analysis of laminated composite plates with triangular cutouts. Engineering Solid Mechanics. 2015; 3 (1): 43–50.
4. Issam Harik, Abheetha Peiris. 20 years of CFRP Kentucky bridges: Fourth conference on Smart monitoring, Assesment and Rehabilitation of Structures; 2017 September 13–15; Zurich, Switzerland: RILEM; 2017.
5. Sundararajan Natarajan, Pratik S. Deogekar, Ganpathi Manickam, et al. Hygrothermal effects on free vibration and buckling of laminated composites with cutouts. Composite Structures. 2014; 108: 848–855.
6. K.S. Sairam, P.K. Sinha. Hygrothermal effects on the bending characteristics of laminated composite plates. Composites & Structures. 1991; 40 (4): 1009–1015.
7. Atteshamuddin SS, Yuwaraj M.G., Bharti M.S. Thermal stress analysis of laminated composite plates using exponential shear deformation theory. Int. J. Automotive Composites. 2016; 2 (1): 23–40.
8. Pranoti H. Numerical Analysis of Hygrothermal effect on Laminated composite plates. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2017; 4 (11): 1984–1991.
9. NVS Naidu, PK Sinha. Nonlinear finite element analysis of laminated composite shells in hygrothermal environments. Composite Structures. 2005; 69 (4): 387–395.
10. T. Kant, JR Kommineni. C0 Finite element geometrically non-linear analysis of fibre reinforced composite and sandwich laminates based on a higher-order theory. Computer & Structures. 1992; 45 (3): 511–520.
11. SPC Marques, GJ Creus. Geometrically nonlinear finite element analysis of viscoelastic composite materials under mechanical and hygrothermal loads. Computers & Structures. 1994; 53 (2): 449–456.
12. MK Rath. Dynamic stability of woven fiber laminated composite curved plates in adverse hygrothermal environment. International Journal of Engineering Science and Mathematics. 2017; 6(8): 259-265. ISSN: 2320-0294, Scopus ID: 3D9ED96C3EFA9FBD
13. Shubhankar Karmoker, Anup Ghosh. Comparison of bending response of laminated composite plates under mechanical and hygrothermal loading. International Journal of Science and Research. 2015; 4 (3): 1110–1117.
14. A. Choudhury. Mondal S.C., Sarkar S. Failure analysis of laminated composite plate under hygro-thermo mechanical load and optimization. Int. J. of Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 2019; 24 (3): 509–526.
|Received||July 12, 2021|
|Accepted||November 7, 2021|
|Published||December 8, 2021|