Rasha Tariq Salim
Dunya Edan AL-Mammar
- Student, College of Science, University of Baghdad, Baghdad, Iraq
- Professor, Department of Chemistry,College of Science, University of Baghdad, Baghdad, Iraq
In this study, we attempted to synthesize TiO2 nanoparticles utilizing titanium tetrachloride as a precursor and an aqueous extract of Sansevieria plant leaves. Atomic force microscopy (AFM), X-ray diffraction (XRD) pattern, scanning electron microscopy (SEM), Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy, and Brunauer-Emmett-Teller (BET) analysis were used to identify the synthesized TiO2 nanoparticles As per the surface topography, the average diameter of nanoparticles is considered as 67.73 nm. Debye-Scherrer equation was used to summarize the size of the crystals, the result shows that the average crystalline size for TiO2 sample was 15.2 nm. Few spherical, non-agglomerated particles could be seen in the SEM image of TiO2 nanoparticles. The appearance of the bending vibrations of Ti-O and Ti-O-Ti are shown at 688.59, 497.63, and 950.91 cm–1, respectively, demonstrating the presence of TiO2 nanoparticles. BET equation was used to estimate the porosity and surface area for the prepared sample.
Keywords: Green method, Sansevieria, titanium dioxide nanoparticles
This article belongs to Special Issue Conference Material Science and Nanotechnology
1. Santhoshkumar T, Rahuman AA, Jayaseelan C, Rajakumar G, Marimuthu S, Kirthi AV, Velayutham K, Thomas J, Vekatesan J, Kim SK. Green synthesis of titanium dioxide nanoparticles using Psidium guajava extract and its antibacterial and antioxidant properties. Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2014; 7 (12): 968–976.
2. Rajeshkumar S, Santhoshkumar J, Jule LT, Ramaswamy K. Phytosynthesis of titanium dioxide nanoparticles using king of bitter Andrographis paniculata and its embryonic toxicology evaluation and biomedical potential. Bioinorg Chem Appl. 2021; 2021: Article 6267634.
3. Rao KG, Ashok C, Rao KV, Chakra C, Tambur P. Green synthesis of TiO2 nanoparticles using Aloe vera extract. Int J Adv Res Phys Sci. 2015; 2 (1A): 28–34.
4. Tilahun Bekele E, Gonfa BA, Sabir FK. Use of different natural products to control growth of titanium oxide nanoparticles in green solvent emulsion, characterization, and their photocatalytic application. Bioinorg Chem Appl. 2021; 2021: Article 6626313.
5. Huq MA, Ashrafudoulla M, Rahman MM, Balusamy SR, Akter S. Green synthesis and potential antibacterial applications of bioactive silver nanoparticles: a review. Polymers. 2022; 14 (4): 742.
6. Alamdari S, Ghamsari MS, Lee C, Han W, Park HH, Tafreshi MJ, Afarideh H, Ara MHM. Preparation and characterization of zinc oxide nanoparticles using leaf extract of Sambucus ebulus. Appl Sci. 2020; 10 (10): 3620.
7. Patidar V, Jain P. Green synthesis of TiO2 nanoparticle using Moringa oleifera leaf extract. Int Res J Eng Technol. 2017; 4 (3): 1–4.
8. Rama Krishna A, Espenti C, Rami Reddy Y, Obbu A, Satyanarayana M. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles by using Sansevieria roxburghiana, their characterization and antibacterial activity.
J Inorg Organometal Polym Mater. 2020; 30 (10): 4155–4159.
9. Saed SA, AL-Mammar DE. Influence of acid activation of a mixture of illite, koalinite, and chlorite clays on the adsorption of methyl violet 6B dye, Iraqi J Sci. 2021; 62 (6)1761–1778.
10. Kadhim HH, Saleh KA. Removing of copper ions from industrial wastewater using graphene oxide/chitosan nanocomposite. Iraqi J Sci. 2022; 63 (5):1894–1908.
11. Al-Saadi TM. Investigating the structural and magnetic properties of nickel oxide nanoparticles prepared by precipitation method. Ibn AL-Haitham J Pure Appl Sci. 2022; 35 (4): 94–103.
12. Supriya S, Sathish S. Enhanced photocatalytic decolorization of Congo red dye with surface-modified zinc oxide using copper (II)-amino acid complex. Inorg Nano-met Chem. 2020; 50 (3): 100–109.
13. Rahimi R, Parvaz S, Rabbani M. Adsorption of methyl orange by zinc oxide synthesized via a facile precipitation method. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Electronic Conference on Water Sciences (ECWS-2), 2017, November 16–30. Basel, Switzerland; MDPI: 2017. doi:10.3390/ecws-2-049622017.
14. Rosi H, Kalyanasundaram S. Synthesis, characterization, structural and optical properties of titanium-dioxide nanoparticles using Glycosmis cochinchinensis leaf extract and its photocatalytic evaluation and antimicrobial properties. World News Nat Sci. 2018; 17: 1–15.
15. Sethy NK, Arif Z, Mishra P, Kumar P. Green synthesis of TiO2 nanoparticles from Syzygium cumini extract for photo-catalytic removal of lead (Pb) in explosive industrial wastewater. Green Process Synth. 2020; 9 (1): 171–181.
16. Narayanan M, Vigneshwari P, Natarajan D, Kandaswamy S, Alsehli M, Elfasakhany A, Pugazhendhi A. Synthesis and characterization of TiO2 NPs by aqueous leaf extract of Coleus aromaticus and assess their antibacterial, larvicidal, and anticancer potential. Environ Res. 2021; 200: 111335.
17. Aravind M, Amalanathan M, Mary M. Synthesis of TiO2 nanoparticles by chemical and green synthesis methods and their multifaceted properties, SN Appl Sci. 2021; 3 (4): 1–10.
18. Zafar MN, Dar Q, Nawaz F, Zafar MN, Iqbal M, Nazar MF. Effective adsorptive removal of azo dyes over spherical ZnO nanoparticles. J Mater Res Technol. 2019; 8 (1): 713–725.
19. Kareem SH, Al-Hussien E. Adsorption of Congo red rhodamine B and disperse blue dyes from aqueous solution onto raw flint clay. Baghdad Sci J. 2012; 9 (4): 680–688.
20. Kırgız MS, de Sousa Galdino AG, Kinuthia J, Khitab A, Ul Hassan MI, Khatib J, El Naggar H, Thomas C, Mirza J, Kenai S, Nguyen YA, Nehdi M, Syarif M, Asteyat A, Gobinath R, Soliman A, Tagbor TA, Kumbhalkar MA, Bheel N, Tiwary CS. Synthesis, physico-mechanical properties, material processing, and math models of novel superior materials doped flake of carbon and colloid flake of carbon. J Mater Res Technol. 2021; 15 (November–December): 4993–5009. doi: 10.1016/j.jmrt.2021.10.089.
|Received||December 8, 2022|
|Accepted||January 31, 2023|
|Published||April 18, 2023|