Yasmin A. Adi
- Student, Al_Iraqia University, College of Medicine, Baghdad, Iraq
In this study, a rapid, easy, eco-friendly and pollution-free-polution method to synthesize Ag nanoparticles (NPs) was developed. Laser ablation technique was used to bulk target silver in harsh environment which was simulated body fluid due to salts and ions content cause Ag NPs to aggregate via the interactions between NPs and components of the ionic solution. Ovalbumin was added to achieve long-term stability of colloidal Ag NPs solution. This protein has been used to decrease ionic strength and avoid nanoparticle agglomeration in biofluids by attaching to the Ag NPs surfaces in the mixture, thereby protecting them from the NaCl and preventing aggregation. The color change on the sample was observed and we examined it with a transmission electron microscope to see its size and
shape, as well as the zeta potential to know its charge, in addition to measuring it in Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) and UV-vis spectrophotometer over a month to prove the stability of the sample. The Ag NPs solution and their dilutions were applied on cultured media of Candida albicans which was isolated from human patients with candida infection.
Keywords: Silver nanoparticles (Ag NPs), pulse laser ablation (PLAL), UV-vis, FTIR, z-potential, TEM, Candida albicans
This article belongs to Special Issue Conference Material Science and Nanotechnology
1. Kumar N, Chamoli P, Misra M, Manoj MK, Sharma A. Advanced metal and carbon nanostructures for medical, drug delivery and bio-imaging applications. Nanoscale. 2022; 14: 3987–4017.
2. Zhang D, Gokce B, Barcikowski S. Laser synthesis and processing of colloids: fundamentals and applications. Chem Rev. 2017; 117 (5): 3990–4103.
3. Kumar H, Venkatesh N, Bhowmik H, Kuila A. Metallic nanoparticle: a review. Biomed J Sci Tech Res. 2018; 4 (2): 3765–3775.
4. Moreau T, Gautron J, Hincke MT, Monget P, Réhault-Godbert S, Guyot N. Antimicrobial proteins and peptides in avian eggshell: structural diversity and potential roles in biomineralization. Front Immunol. 2022; 13: 946428.
5. Rostamabadi H, Chaudhary V, Chhikara N, Sharma N, Nowacka M, Demirkesen I, Rathnakumar K, Falsafi SR. Ovalbumin, an outstanding food hydrocolloid: applications, technofunctional attributes, and nutritional facts. A systematic review. Food Hydrocolloids. 2023; 139: 108514.
6. Sahani S, Sharma YC. Advancements in applications of nanotechnology in global food industry. Food Chem. 2021; 342: 128318.
7. Ho W, Gao M, Li F, Li Z, Zhang XQ, Xu X. Next‐generation vaccines: nanoparticle‐mediated DNA and mRNA delivery. Adv Healthc Mater. 2021; 10 (8): 2001812.
8. Rynkevic R, Martins P, Fernandes A, Vange J, Gallego MR, Wach RA, Mes T, Bosman AW, Deprest J. In vitro simulation of in vivo degradation and cyclic loading of novel degradable electrospun meshes for prolapse repair. Polym Testing. 2019; 78: 105957.
9. Opulente DA, Langdon QK, Buh KV, Haase MA, Sylvester K, Moriarty RV, Jarzyna M, Considine SL, Schneider RM, Hittinger CT. Pathogenic budding yeasts isolated outside of clinical settings. FEMS Yeast Res. 2019; 19 (3): foz032.
10. Naser DK, Abbas AK, Aadim KA. Zeta potential of Ag, Cu, ZnO, CdO and Sn nanoparticles prepared by pulse laser ablation in liquid environment. Iraqi J Sci. 2020; 61 (10): 2570–2581.
11. Qasim ZS. The effect of Ginkgo biloba extracts on Candida albicans isolated from healthy persons. Iraqi J Pharm Sci. 2020; 29 (2): 122–128.
12. Chavez-Esquivel G, Cervantes-Cuevas H, Ybieta-Olvera LF, Briones MC, Acosta D, Cabello J. Antimicrobial activity of graphite oxide doped with silver against Bacillus subtilis, Candida albicans, Escherichia coli, and Staphylococcus aureus by agar well diffusion test: synthesis and characterization. Mater Sci Eng C. 2021; 123: 111934.
13. Kong F, Wang J, Han R, Ji S, Yue J, Wang Y, Ma L. Antifungal activity of magnesium oxide nanoparticles: effect on the growth and key virulence factors of Candida albicans. Mycopathologia. 2020; 185: 485–494.
14. Wang L, Hasanzadeh Kafshgari M, Meunier M. Optical properties and applications of plasmonic‐metal nanoparticles. Adv Funct Mater. 2020; 30 (51): 2005400.
15. Shirzadi-Ahodashti M, Mortazavi-Derazkola S, Ebrahimzadeh MA. Biosynthesis of noble metal nanoparticles using Crataegus monogyna leaf extract (CML@ X-NPs, X = Ag, Au): antibacterial and cytotoxic activities against breast and gastric cancer cell lines. Surf Interfaces. 2020; 21: 100697.
16. Yu Y, Yang T, Sun T. New insights into the synthesis, toxicity and applications of gold nanoparticles in CT imaging and treatment of cancer. Nanomedicine. 2020; 15 (11): 1127–1145.
17. Kay KE, Batista LMF, Tibbetts KM, Ferri JK. Stability of uncapped gold nanoparticles produced via laser reduction in liquid. Colloids Surf A Physicochem Eng Aspects. 2022; 652: 129860.
18. Ko SW, Lee JY, Rezk AI, Park CH, Kim CS. In-situ cellulose-framework templates mediated monodispersed silver nanoparticles via facile UV-light photocatalytic activity for anti-microbial functionalization. Carbohydr Polym. 2021; 269: 118255.
19. Madkour M, Bumajdad A, Al-Sagheer F. To what extent do polymeric stabilizers affect nanoparticles characteristics? Adv Colloid Interface Sci. 2019; 270: 38–53.
20. Pang C, Zhang P, Mu Y, Ren J, Zhao B. Transformation and cytotoxicity of surface-modified silver nanoparticles undergoing long-term aging. Nanomaterials. 2020; 10 (11): 2255.
21. Xu M, Yang Q, Xu L, Rao Z, Cao D, Gao M, Liu S. Protein target identification and toxicological mechanism investigation of silver nanoparticles-induced hepatotoxicity by integrating proteomic and metallomic strategies. Particle Fibre Toxicol. 2019; 16 (1): 1–14.
22. Ezra L, O’Dell ZJ, Hui J, Riley KR. Emerging investigator series: quantifying silver nanoparticle aggregation kinetics in real-time using particle impact voltammetry coupled with UV-vis spectroscopy. Environ Sci Nano. 2020; 7 (9): 2509–2521.
23. Manikandaselvi S, Sathya V, Vadivel V, Sampath N, Brindha P. Evaluation of bio control potential of AgNPs synthesized from Trichoderma viride. Adv Nat Sci Nanosci Nanotechnol. 2020; 11 (3): 035004.
24. Patra A, Namsheer K, Jose JR, Sahoo S, Chakraborty B, Rout CS. Understanding the charge storage mechanism of supercapacitors: in situ/operando spectroscopic approaches and theoretical investigations. J Mater Chem A. 2021; 9 (46): 25852–25891.
25. Pramanik N, De T, Sharma P, Alakesh A, Jagirdar SK, Rangarajan A, Jhunjhunwala S. Surface-coated cerium nanoparticles to improve chemotherapeutic delivery to tumor cells. ACS Omega. 2022; 7 (36): 31651–31657.
26. Zamiri R, Salehizadeh SA, Ahangar HA, Shabani M, Rebelo A, Ferreira JM. Dielectric and optical properties of Ni-and Fe-doped CeO2 nanoparticles. Appl Phys A. 2019; 125: 1–7.
27. Sadrolhosseini AR, Mahdi MA, Alizadeh F, Rashid SA. Laser ablation technique for synthesis of metal nanoparticle in liquid. In: Ma Y, editor. Laser Technology and Its Applications. London, UK: IntechOpen; 2019. pp. 63–83.
28. Ojemaye, MO, Okoh SO, Okoh AI. Silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) facilitated by plant parts of Crataegus ambigua Becker AK extracts and their antibacterial, antioxidant and antimalarial activities. Green Chem Lett Rev. 2021; 14 (1): 51–61.
29. Binaymotlagh R, Hadadzadeh H, Farrokhpour H, Haghighi FH, Abyar F, Mirahmadi-Zare SZ. In situ generation of the gold nanoparticles–bovine serum albumin (AuNPs–BSA) bioconjugated system using pulsed-laser ablation (PLA). Mater Chem Phys. 2016; 177: 360–370.
30. Kasithevar M, Saravanan M, Prakash P, Kumar H, Ovais M, Barabadi H, Shinwari ZK. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Alysicarpus monilifer leaf extract and its antibacterial activity against MRSA and CoNS isolates in HIV patients. J Interdiscipl Nanomed. 2017; 2 (2): 131–141.
31. Okoye EL, Uba BO, Ugwuoke CJ. Determination of the growth rate and susceptibility pattern of fungi using agro-waste formulated media. Nigerian J Microbiol. 2020; 34 (2): 5258–5268.
|Received||December 8, 2022|
|Accepted||January 31, 2023|
|Published||April 18, 2023|