Ishraq Abboodi Fadhil
- Lecturer, University of Al-Qadisiyah/College of The Education, , Iraq
Biomaterials made from chitosan have been discovered to be particularly unique marine polysaccharides (or polycarbohydrates) with a wide range of physico-chemical and biological characteristics suitable for biomedicine field. Due to net positive charge of chitosan, it is essentially capable of chemically binding with negatively charged surfaces A biodegradable blend of chitosan nanoparticles (CHT), poly vinyl alcohol (PVA) and polyethylene glycol (PEG) hybridized with metal
oxides nanopowders were prepared and used for wound healing application. The exploited oxides were titanium dioxide (TiO2), zinc oxide (ZnO), and magnesium oxide (MgO). Scanning electron microscopy (SEM), differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), and in vivo study by applying the final gels on the injured skins were used to characterize the morphology, thermal, and biological properties of hybrids. The in vivo animal tests were employed to confirm the biocompatibility of the nanocomposites as wound healers. The hybrid’s ability for wound healing has been improved by combining PVA, PEG, and CHT along with the proper concentrations of TiO2, ZnO, and MgO. The aim of this work was to create an attractive product for wound healing could be used for human health care. Consequently, dual/triple-hybrid systems have been adopted by integrating TiO2/MgO, TiO2/ZnO, MgO/ZnO, and TiO2/MgO/ZnO nanocomposites. Eventually, the wound contraction was accelerated by treating the injured skin with a ternary-hybrid system within a period of less than a week with no toxicity up to concentration of 100 μg/mL on WRL-68 cell line. All the parameters observed (presence of necrotic tissue, clotting and crust, re-epithelialization and granulation tissue growth) were affected; suggesting that chitosan and the metals oxides nanoparticles have a substantial efficiency in tissue regeneration. This is an indication to collagen maturation progress. Based on the results, the previously mentioned hybrid will be a promising
nontoxic biomaterial for wound treatment application. The in vivo model revealed that the novel composite of CHT/PVA/PEG blend hybridized with the three different types of the suggested metals oxides have superior curing effect as compared to Fucidin ointment.
Keywords: Chitosan blend, hybrid, nanocomposites, wound healing, biocompatibility, biodegradability
This article belongs to Special Issue Conference Material Science and Nanotechnology
1. Azimi B, Maleki H, Zavagna L, De la Ossa JG, Linari S, Lazzeri A, Danti S. Bio-based electrospun fibers for wound healing. J Funct Biomater. 2020; 11 (3): 67.
2. Reinke J, Sorg H. Wound repair and regeneration. Eur Surg Res. 2012; 49 (1): 35–43.
3. Abdulkareem M, Abdalsalam A, Bohan A. Influence of chitosan on the antibacterial activity of composite coating (PEEK/HAp) fabricated by electrophoretic deposition. Prog Org Coatings. 2019; 130: 251–259.
4. Reddy M, Ponnamma D, Choudhary R, Sadasivuni K. A comparative review of natural and synthetic biopolymer composite scaffolds. Polymers. 2021; 13 (7): 1105.
5. Al-Zubaydi ASJ, Salih RM, Al-Dabbagh BM. Effect of nano TiO2 particles on the properties of carbon fiber-epoxy composites. Prog Rubber Plast Recycl Technol. 2021; 37 (3): 216–232.
6. Tudoroiu E, Dinu-Pîrvu C, Albu Kaya MG, Popa L, Anuța V, Prisada RM, Ghica MV. An overview of cellulose derivatives-based dressings for wound-healing management. Pharmaceuticals. 2021; 14 (12): 1215.
7. Rezvani Ghomi E, Khalili S, Nouri Khorasani S, Esmaeely Neisiany R, Ramakrishna S. Wound dressings: current advances and future directions. J Appl Polym Sci. 2019; 136 (27): 47738.
8. Sood A, Granick M, Tomaselli N. Wound dressings and comparative effectiveness data. Adv Wound Care. 2014; 3 (8): 511–529.
9. Nehia NH, Mina MK. Evaluation of the biosynthesized silver nanoparticles effects on biofilm formation. J Appl Sci Nanotechnol. 2021; 1 (1): 23–31.
10. Jawad A, Thewaini Q, Al-Musawi S. Cytotoxicity effect and antibacterial activity of Al2O3 nanoparticles activity against Streptococcus pyogenes and Proteus vulgaris. J Appl Sci Nanotechnol. 2021; 1 (3): 42–50.
11. Jabbar RA, Hussein NN. Evaluation the antibacterial activity of biosynthesis silver nanoparticles by Lactobacillus gasseri bacteria. J Appl Sci Nanotechnol. 2021; 1 (3): 86–95.
12. Fadhil IA. Investigation of USPION genotoxicity on cytokinesis blocked micronuclei. Int J Pharm Res. 2019; 11 (2): 115–120. doi: 10.31838/ijpr/2019.11.02.019.
13. Fadhil IA, Mohammed Dheyaa B, Thamir Mahdi W. Chitosan/PVA/PEG blend strengthened with MgO nanoparticles for antibacterial application. J Appl Sci Nanotechnol. 2022; 2 (3): 126–136. doi: 10.53293/jasn.2022.4552.1123.
14. Zheng H, Du Y, Yu J, Huang R, Zhang L. Preparation and characterization of chitosan/poly (vinyl alcohol) blend fibers. J Appl Polym Sci. 2001; 80 (13): 2558–2565.
15. Guan Y, Liu X, Zhang Y, Yao K. Study of phase behavior on chitosan/viscose rayon blend film. J Appl Polym Sci. 1998; 67 (12): 1965–1972.
16. Yin Y, Yao K, Cheng G, Ma J. Properties of polyelectrolyte complex films of chitosan and gelatin. Polym Int. 1999; 48 (6): 429–432.
17. Rocha-Santos T, Costa MF, Mouneyrac C. Handbook of Microplastics in the Environment. Cham, Switzerland: Springer; 2022.
18. Bukzem A, Signini R, dos Santos D, Lião L, Ascheri D. Optimization of carboxymethyl chitosan synthesis using response surface methodology and desirability function. Int J Biol Macromol. 2016; 85: 615–624.
19. Valencia-Gómez LE, Martel-Estrada SA, Vargas-Requena CL, Acevedo-Fernández JJ, Rodríguez-González CA, Hernández-Paz JF, Olivas-Armendáriz I. Characterization and evaluation of a novel O-carboxymethyl chitosan films with Mimosa tenuiflora extract for skin regeneration and wound healing. J Bioactive Compatible Polym. 2020; 35 (1): 39–56.
20. Mohandas A, Deepthi S, Biswas R, Jayakumar R. Chitosan based metallic nanocomposite scaffolds as antimicrobial wound dressings. Bioactive Mater. 2018; 3 (3): 267–2778.
21. Zainal Z, Hui LK, Hussein MZ, Abdullah AH, Hamadneh IR. Characterization of TiO2–chitosan/glass photocatalyst for the removal of a monoazo dye via photodegradation–adsorption process. J Hazard Mater. 2009; 164 (1): 138–145.
22. Saravanan R, Aviles J, Gracia F, Mosquera E, Gupta VK. Crystallinity and lowering band gap induced visible light photocatalytic activity of TiO2/CS (chitosan) nanocomposites. Int J Biol Macromol. 2018; 109: 1239–1245.
23. Farzana MH, Meenakshi S. Synergistic effect of chitosan and titanium dioxide on the removal of toxic dyes by the photodegradation technique. Indust Eng Chem Res. 2014; 53 (1): 55–63.
24. Raut AV, Yadav HM, Gnanamani A, Pushpavanam S, Pawar SH. Synthesis and characterization of chitosan-TiO2:Cu nanocomposite and their enhanced antimicrobial activity with visible light. Colloids Surf B: Biointerfaces. 2016; 148: 566–575.
25. Anaya-Esparza L, Vargas-Torres A, Palma-Rodrigues HM, Castro-Mendoza MP, Yahia EM, Perez-Larios A, Montalvao-Gonzalez E. . Effect of mixed oxide-based TiO2 on the physicochemical properties of chitosan films. Period Polytechn Chem Eng. 2022; 66 (3): 422–436.
26. Jayakumar R, Ramachandran R, Divyarani VV, Chennazhi KP, Tamura H, Nair SV. Fabrication of chitin–chitosan/nano TiO2-composite scaffolds for tissue engineering applications. Int J Biol Macromol. 2011; 48 (2): 336–344.
27. Bispo V, Mansur A, Barbosa-Stancioli E, Mansur H. Biocompatibility of nanostructured chitosan/poly (vinyl alcohol) blends chemically crosslinked with genipin for biomedical applications. J Biomed Nanotechnol. 2010; 6 (2): 166–175.
28. Berger J, Reist M, Mayer JM, Felt O, Peppas NA, Gurny R. Structure and interactions in covalently and ionically crosslinked chitosan hydrogels for biomedical applications. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2004; 57 (1): 19–34.
29. Claper JD, Skeie JM, Mullins RF, Guymon CA. Development and characterization of photopolymerizable biodegradable materials from PEG-PLA-PEG block macromonomers. Polymer. 2007; 48: 6554.
30. Gupta KC, Jabrail FH. Glutaraldehyde cross-linked chitosan microspheres for controlled release of centchroman. Carbohydr. Res. 2007; 342 (15): 2244–2252.
31. Zhang Y, Huang X, Duan B, Wu L, Li S, Yuan X. Preparation of electrospun chitosan/poly (vinyl alcohol) membranes. Colloid Polym Sci. 2007; 285: 855–863.
32. Salih AA, Nazar A, Haider AJ. Antibacterial activity of ZnO nanoparticle prepared by pulsed laser ablation in liquid for biological sensor. In: 2019 12th International Conference on Developments in eSystems Engineering (DeSE), Kazan, Russia, 2019, October 7–10. IEEE; 2019. pp. 726–729.
33. Zhang X, Liu Y, Yong H, Qin Y, Liu J, Liu J. Development of multifunctional food packaging films based on chitosan, TiO2 nanoparticles and anthocyanin-rich black plum peel extract, Food Hydrocolloids. 2019; 94: 80–92.
34. Kavitha K, Sutha S, Prabhu M, Rajendran V, Jayakumar T. In situ synthesized novel biocompatible titania–chitosan nanocomposites with high surface area and antibacterial activity. Carbohydr Polym. 2013; 93 (2): 731–739.
35. Grande CD, Mangadlao J, Fan J, De Leon A, Delgado-Ospina J, Rojas JG, Rodrigues DF, Advincula R. Chitosan cross-linked graphene oxide nanocomposite films with antimicrobial activity for application in food industry. Macromol Symp. 2017; 374 (1): 1600114.
36. Jbeli A, Ferraria A, Botelho do Rego A, Boufi S, Bouattour S. Hybrid chitosan-TiO2/ZnS prepared under mild conditions with visible-light driven photocatalytic activity. Int J Biol Macromol. 2018; 116: 1098–1104.
37. Capes-Davis A, Freshney RI. Freshney’s Culture of Animal Cells: A Manual of Basic Technique and Specialized Applications. 8th edition. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell; 2021.
38. Kumbhalkar MA, Rangari DT, Pawar RD, Phadtare RA, Raut KR, Nagre AN. Finite element analysis of knee joint with special emphasis on patellar implant. In: Akinlabi ET, Ramkumar P, Selvaraj M, editors. Trends in Mechanical and Biomedical Design. Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering. Singapore: Springer; 2021. pp. 319–333. . doi: 10.1007/978-981-15-4488-0_29.
|Received||December 8, 2022|
|Accepted||January 31, 2023|
|Published||June 19, 2023|