Alimi Olasunkanmi Maruf
Afariogun AbdulKabir Eniola
Saheed Yakubu Kayode
- Associate Professor, Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin, Nigeria
- Ex-Student, Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin, Nigeria
- Assistant Professor, American University of Nigeria, Yola, Nigeria
Embedded software originally controlled hardware but algorithm and software developed determine mode of control and action expected of the hardware. Arduino hardware microcontroller board called Arduino UNO is one of the best electronics boards with coding these days while many attendance systems developed today are mostly one-way. Many developing and underdeveloped countries cannot guaranty 24/7 electricity and strong network connection or data for fully online attendance system. Based on this assertion, enhanced system was developed using Arduino UNO R3, RFID Reader, and Ethernet Shield for web-based or online version while Data Logger was used for Local or manual version and RFID cards for individual’s identity. Optimized one was designed, developed and software was embedded using Arduino codes to control the machine. The machine was able to store student attendance on SD-card for manual while it was able to store in database online for web-based type. These two types give opportunity to individual assessor or lecturer to store on SD card and have access with ease while web-based gives room for online access while on transit.
Keywords: Algorithm, Arduino, Data logger, Embedded-software, Ethernet shield
[This article belongs to Research & Reviews: A Journal of Embedded System & Applications(rrjoesa)]
1.Ahmad B. I. TouchIn. NFC supported attendance system in a university environment. Int J Inf Educ Technol. 2014; 4(5): 448
2. Benyo B, Sodor B, Doktor T, Fördős G. Student attendance monitoring at the university using NFC. In IEEE. 2012; 1–5p.
3. Jacksi K. Design and Implementation of Online Submission and Peer Review System: A Case Study of E-Journal Of University Of Zakho. Int J Sci Technol Res. 2015; 4(8):83–5p.
4. Patel UA, Swaminarayan Priya R. Development of a student attendance management system using RFID and face recognition: a review. Int J Adv Res Comput Sci Manag Stud. 2014; 2(8):109–19p.
5. Gangagowri G, Muthuselvi J, Sujitha S. Student Attendance Management System. International Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2018; 6(2):49-53p.
6. Anitha V. P., Krishna A, Kshama P.M, Correa M. Web service for student attendance management system. www.ijarse.com. 2016;5(3).
7. Pallavi V., Namit G. Fingerprint Based Student Attendance System using GSM, International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR). 2013; (2)10 128-31p.
8. Shoewu O, Idowu O. Development of Attendance Management System using Biometrics. The Pacific Journal of Science and Technology. 2012; 13(1) 300-7p.
9. Arbain N, Nordin NF, Isa NM, Saaidin S. Web-based laboratory attendance system by integrating RFID-ARDUINO technology. In IEEE. 2014; 89–94p.
10. Arulogun O, Olatunbosun A, Fakolujo O, Olaniyi O. RFID-based student’s attendance management system. Int J Sci Eng Res. 2013; 4(2):1–9p.
11. Kassim M, Mazlan H, Zaini N, Salleh MK. Web-based student attendance system using RFID Technology. In IEEE; 2012. 213–8p.
12. Srinidhi M, Roy R. A web enabled secured system for attendance monitoring and real time location tracking using Biometric and Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology. In IEEE. 2015; 1–5p.
13. Store. Arduino Uno Rev3 [Online]. Available from https://store.arduino.cc/products/arduino-uno-rev3/
14. Store. 10 jumper wires 150mm male [Online]. Available from https://store.arduino.cc/products/10-jumper-wires-150mm-male
15. Circuit Digest. Aswinth Raj (Oct 24, 2015). 16×2 LCD Display Module [Online]. Available from https://circuitdigest.com/article/16×2-lcd-display-module-pinout-datasheet
16. GI Electronic. Arduino Ethernet Shield R3 [Online]. Available from https://gie.com.my/shop.php?action=arduino/shields/ethernetshield_r3
17. GI Electronic. Mifare MFRC-522 RFID [Online]. Available from https://gie.com.my/shop.php?action=wireless/rf/rc522_rfid_kits
|Received||December 9, 2021|
|Accepted||December 20, 2021|
|Published||December 28, 2021|