Sreelekshmi G S
- Associate Professor, DM WIMS Nursing College, Kerala, India
- Assistant Professor, DM WIMS Nursing College, Kerala, India
- Lecturer, DM WIMS Nursing College, Kerala, India
- Professor, DM WIMS Nursing College, Kerala, India
Background: The study aim to assess the mastery of breastfeeding among primi parous mothers who were admitted to a medical college hospital in Wayanad. Material and methods: This study employed a non-experimental quantitative research methodology, and it involved the selection of 120 primiparous women through purposive sampling. The setting of the study was at DM WIMS the research design was an experimental research design (post-test only control design). The target population of the study is the total number of mothers admitted to the antenatal ward and coming for consultation in the OPD. Results: Analyzing the knowledge scores of 120 samples, 2.5% of mothers have poor knowledge of breastfeeding, 80.83% of mothers have average knowledge of breastfeeding, and 16.6% of mothers have good knowledge.
Keywords: Knowledge, assessment, breastfeeding, primi mothers
[This article belongs to International Journal of Midwifery Nursing And Practices(ijmnp)]
- A Comprehensive Textbook of Midwifery and Gynecological Nursing. Annamma Jacob. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; Fifth edition (1 October 2018); Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers, 76 A-1, Phase –IV, HSIIDC Industrial Estate Sector-57, Kundli-131028 Sonepat (Haryana).
- Drug Handbook in Obstetrics & Gynaecology. AK Debdas. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; Fourth edition (1 January 2022); JAYPEE BROTHERS MEDICAL PUBLISHERS PVT LTD – Delhi PLOT NO. 76A-1, PHASE – IV, HSIIDC INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, KUNDLI, HR, IN, 131028.
- Myles Textbook for Midwives: With Modern Concepts of Obstetric and Neonatal Care. Churchill Livingstone; 12th edition (9 August 1993).
- Dewhurst’s Textbook of Obstetrics & Gynaecology by Christoph Lees, et al. Wiley-Blackwell; 9th edition (2 November 2018).
- DC Dutta’s Textbook of Obstetrics by Hiralal Konar. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.; 9th edition (30 November 2016)
- Batthina Amarendra1, Indira vemuri2, Joseph Mary Meena3. (2019). A Study to Assess the Knowledge of Primigravida Mothers Regarding Exclusive Breastfeeding in Selected Hospital at Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh. International Journal of Nursing Education, 11(4), 31–34.
- Nazar A. Mahmud. Knowledge of Breastfeeding: A descriptive study among mothers in Kirkuk Iraqi National Journal of Nursing Specialties, Vol. 24, Issue (2): 2011.
- Sandhya Jagadale, Jyoti Salunkhe, Kavita S. Kapurkar, Sangeeta Patil, Naseema V. Kanase. “To Assess Knowledge, Attitude and Knowledge of Practice Regarding Breast Feeding among Primi Para Mothers”. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences 2015; Vol. 4, Issue 30, April 13; Page: 5121-5127, DOI: 10.14260/jemds/2015/748
- A Study to Assess the Knowledge of Primi Gravida Mother Regarding Importance Colostrum at Selected Hospital Bagalkot Karnataka, India. International Journal of Innovative Science and Research Technology. 2018:3(11)405-414.
- Esha Sharma and Shantha Seelan G.2017, Knowledge Regarding Breastfeeding among Primigravida Mothers. Int J Recent Sci Res. 8(11), pp. 21517-21521.
- Al Ketbi, M.I., Al Noman, S., Al Ali, A. et al. Knowledge, attitudes, and practices of breastfeeding among women visiting primary healthcare clinics on the island of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Int Breastfeed J 13, 26 (2018).
- Mog C. Knowledge, Attitude and Practices Regarding Breast Feeding Among Primiparous and Multiparous Mothers in an Urban Slum, West Tripura: A Comparative Cross Sectional Study. Biomed Pharmacol J 2021;14(1).
- World Health Organization WHO. (2013). Breastfeeding. Retrieved from World Health Organization WHO: Available online at: https://www.who.int/news-room/facts-in-pictures/detail/
- Mohapatra I, Roy A. Breastfeeding awareness and perception among antenatal mothers: A cross-sectional study in urban slum population of Bhubaneswar, Odisha. J Educ Health Promot. 2018 May 3;7:60. doi: 10.4103/jehp.jehp_98_17. PMID: 29922689; PMCID: PMC5963211.
- Kemberling SR. Supporting breastfeeding. Paediatrics. 1979;63:60–63.
- Breastfeeding [Internet]. Newborn Nursery. 2019. Available from: https://med.stanford.edu/newborns/professional-education/breastfeeding.html
- Breastfeeding [Internet]. World health organization. 2019 [cited 29 April 2019]. Available from: https:// who.int/topics/breastfeeding/en/.
- World Health Organization 2002. Essential Newborn Care and Breastfeeding. https://www. sbp.com.br/pdfs/who_essential_newborn_care_ and_bf.pdf.
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Committee on Nutrition. Pediatric Nutrition Handbook. Kleinman RE, ed. 6th ed. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2009.
- Alade O,Titiloye MA,Oshiname FO,Arulogun S (2013) Exclusive breastfeeding and related antecedent factors among lactating mothers in a rural community in Southwest Nigeria.International Journal of Nursing and Midwifery 5(7):132-138.
- Aryeetey RNO and Goh YE (2013) Duration of exclusive breastfeeding and subsequent child feeding adequacy. Ghana Medical Journal 47(1): 24–29.
- Banapurmath CR, Nagaraj MC, Banapurmath S and Kesari N (1996) Breastfeeding practices in villages of central Karnataka. Indian Pediatrics 33(6): 477–479.
- Blaymore Bier J-A, Oliver T, Ferguson A and BR Vohor (2002) Human milk reduces outpatient upper respiratory symptoms in premature infants during their first year of life. Journal of Perinatology: Official Journal of the California Perinatal Association 22(5): 354–359.
- Cai X, Wardlaw T and Brown DW (2012) Global trends in exclusive breastfeeding. International Breastfeeding Journal 7(1): 12.
- Cartagena D, Ameringer SW, McGrath JM,Mashow SW,Jallo N and Myers BJ (2015) Factors contributing to infant overfeeding in low-income immigrant Latina mothers. Applied nursing research: ANR 28(4): 316–321.
- Chandhiok N, Singh KJ, Sahu D,Sing L and Pandey A (2015) Changes in exclusive breastfeeding practices and its determinants in India, 1992-2006: analysis of national survey data. International Brea stfeeding Journal 10: 34.
- Dawal S,I.F Inamdar,Saleem T,Priyanka S and MK Doibale (2014) Study of pre lacteal feeding practices and its determinants in rural area of Maharashtra. Scholar Journal of Applied Medical Sciences 2 (4D):1422-1427.
- Desai A, Mbuya MNN, Chigumira A,Chasekwa B,Humphrey J H,Moulton LH,Pelto G,Gereema G,Stoltzfus R J and SHINE study team (2014) Traditional oral remedies and perceived breast milk insufficiency are major barriers to exclusive breastfeeding in rural Zimbabwe. The Journal of Nutrition 144(7): 1113–1119.
- Edmond KM, Zandoh C, Quigley MA,Eteyo A,Agyerio and Kirikwood (2006) Delayed Breastfeeding Initiation Increases Risk of Neonatal Mortality. Pediatrics 117(3): e380–e386.
|Received||September 2, 2023|
|Accepted||September 21, 2023|
|Published||September 22, 2023|