- Research Scholar, Department of Computer Science & Engineering, Sardar Patel University Balaghat, MP, India
- Professor & Dean, Department of Computer Science & Engineering, Sardar Patel University Balaghat, MP, India
The Internet of Things (IoT) provides the facility to connect different devices and communicate and share information over the internet. The Internet of Things (IoT) has emerged as a transformative and pervasive technological paradigm, revolutionizing how we interact with our environment and infusing intelligence into everyday objects and devices. This interconnected ecosystem has unleashed a wave of innovative applications across diverse domains, including healthcare, transportation, agriculture, industrial automation, and smart cities. However, as the IoT footprint expands rapidly, it also brings to the forefront a multitude of complex and pressing security challenges that demand immediate attention and resolution. One of the primary security concerns in the IoT ecosystem is weak authentication and authorization mechanisms. Insufficient encryption measures can lead to data interception and manipulation, exposing confidential information to potential attackers. The lack of automated update mechanisms leaves numerous IoT devices susceptible to known exploits, necessitating the establishment of efficient update processes. With IoT devices deployed in the physical world, they become susceptible to tampering and theft, requiring robust physical security measures to safeguard their integrity. Standardization of security practices across the diverse IoT ecosystem is necessary to establish a unified and robust security framework. Security awareness and education are critical to empowering users and manufacturers to implement secure practices effectively. By comprehensively understanding and actively mitigating the key security issues, adopting best practices, and collaboratively addressing open challenges, we can forge a safer and more resilient IoT landscape that not only fosters innovation but also preserves user privacy and instills confidence in the trustworthiness of IoT technologies. This paper centers on addressing IoT security concerns and exploring the optimal practices to mitigate them. Finally, we point out open challenges as a scope of future research.
Keywords: IoT, IoT security, data security, data privacy, IoT ecosystem, security challenge, IoT devices
[This article belongs to International Journal of Information Security Engineering(ijise)]
- Kolay S, Hiwarkar T. Evaluation Of The Privacy-Protecting Effects Of Learning-Based Iot Ecosystem Behavior. Journal of Data Acquisition and Processing. 2022;37(5):1873–1883.
- Yang Y, Wu L, Yin G, Li L, Zhao H. A survey on security and privacy issues in Internet-of-Things. IEEE Internet of things Journal. 2017 Apr 17;4(5):1250–1258.
- Lin J, Yu W, Zhang N, Yang X, Zhang H, Zhao W. A survey on internet of things: Architecture, enabling technologies, security and privacy, and applications. IEEE internet of things journal. 2017 Mar 15;4(5):1125–1142.
- Rajmohan T, Nguyen PH, Ferry N. A decade of research on patterns and architectures for IoT security. Cybersecurity. 2022 Dec;5:1–29.
- Moinuddin K, Srikantha N, Lokesh KS, Narayana A. A survey on secure communication protocols for IoT systems. Int. J. Eng. Comput. Sci. 2017 Jul;6(6).
- Ferrag MA, Maglaras LA, Janicke H, Jiang J, Shu L. Authentication protocols for internet of things: a comprehensive survey. Security and Communication Networks. 2017 Nov 6;2017.
- Fremantle P, Scott P. A survey of secure middleware for the Internet of Things. PeerJ Computer Science. 2017 May 8;3:e114.
- Srivastava A, Gupta S, Quamara M, Chaudhary P, Aski VJ. Future IoT‐enabled threats and vulnerabilities: State of the art, challenges, and future prospects. International Journal of Communication Systems. 2020 Aug;33(12):e4443.
- Verma V, Bhatia M. Analysis of Security Measures on the Internet of Things based Applications. In 2022 3rd International Conference on Smart Electronics and Communication (ICOSEC) 2022 Oct 20 (pp. 526–534). IEEE.
- da Cunha V, Carvalho V, Machado J, Soares F. Industrial Networks Protocols PROFIBUS and RS485–A Description of the Most Common Problems. InInternational Conference on Reliable Systems Engineering 2022 Aug 26 (pp. 367–374). Cham: Springer International Publishing.
- Koul N, Kumar N, Sayeed A, Verma C, Raboca MS. Data exchange techniques for internet of robotic things: Recent developments. IEEE Access. 2022 Sep 26.
- Liu Y, Yu W, Rahayu W, Dillon T. An Evaluative Study on IoT ecosystem for Smart Predictive Maintenance (IoT-SPM) in Manufacturing: Multi-view Requirements and Data Quality. IEEE Internet of Things Journal. 2023 Feb 22.
- Zhou J, Cao Z, Dong X, Vasilakos AV. Security and privacy for cloud-based IoT: Challenges. IEEE Communications Magazine. 2017 Jan 19;55(1):26–33.
- Sharbaf MS. IoT Driving New Business Model, and IoT Security, Privacy, and Awareness Challenges. In2022 IEEE 8th World Forum on Internet of Things (WF-IoT) 2022 Oct 26 (pp. 1–4). IEEE.
- Samaila MG, Neto M, Fernandes DA, Freire MM, Inácio PR. Challenges of securing Internet of Things devices: A survey. Security and Privacy. 2018 Mar;1(2):e20.
|Received||July 20, 2023|
|Accepted||October 10, 2023|
|Published||October 30, 2023|