Arul Mathi A.
- Associate Professor, IQ City Institute of Nursing Sciences, West Bengal, India
INTRODUCTION: Diabetes Mellitus (DM) is a significant global health issue characterized by chronic hypoglycemia and an imbalance in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. It has multiple underlying causes. Hyperglycemia refers to high blood glucose levels, while low blood glucose levels are known as hypoglycemia. Raising awareness about the signs and symptoms of diabetes among individuals with the condition can potentially minimize complications. OBJECTIVES: 1. To evaluate the initial knowledge level of diabetic patients about hypoglycemia and its management, both before and after conducting the pre-test and post-test. (2)To assess the impact of the organised training programme on diabetic patients’ understanding of hypoglycemia and how to treat it. (3) To establish a relationship between the selected demographic characteristics of the participants and their initial level of knowledge as measured by the pre-test. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY: The study employed a descriptive research design and utilized a non-probability convenient sampling technique to select a sample of 60 participants. MAJOR FINDINGS OF THE STUDY: Out of 60 samples, majority of samples 35(58.3%) were female & only 25(41.7%) of samples were female. Most of the samples 25(41.7%) belongs age group between 46 to 60 years. About 37(61.7%) of people having history of diabetes in family. About 22(36.7%) of people are using herbal medications & about 38(63.3%) of people are not using any kind of medications. About 32(53.3%) of people are having no any history of diabetes. CONCLUSION: According to the study’s findings, diabetic patients had somewhat acceptable knowledge of hypoglycemia. So, diabetes patients need to be aware of how to control hypoglycemia by receiving health education that will help them learn how to do so and prevent further problems.
Keywords: diabetes mellitus, carbohydrates, fats, and proteins, chronic hypoglycemia
[This article belongs to International Journal of Community Health Nursing And Practices(ijchnp)]
- M. (2005).Medical Surgical Nursing.( 7th Edition). India, W.B Saunders company.
- BurnsandGrove S .K (1995).Understanding Nursing (4thEdition).United States of America,B.WSaunders‟scompany.
- Polite Denise F, Beck TetonCheri (2011).Nursing (8th Edition). New Delhi: WalterKluwer Publication.
- Brunnerand (2004).Text Book ofMedical Surgical Nursing. (10thEdition).Philadelphia:Lippincott Company.
- Dirksen H, Lewis (2004).Medical Surgical Nursing Assessment and Management of Clinical (6thEdition). USA. Mosby Publication.
- Kothari R (2001).Research Methodology.(2nd Edition). New Delhi, Gupta publishers.
- Kraal P, Leo (2002).Joslyn‟sDiabetes (11th Edition).Philadelphia; Lea and Fabler.
- Ruby Bilious (2010).Handbook (4thEdition).London: A John Wiley & Sons Ltd., Publications.
- Seshiah (2010).Handbook on Diabetes Mellitus.(5th Edition).New Delhi: All India publishers& Distributors.
- Polite Denise F, Beck T; (2004).Nursing Research Principles and (7th Edition).Philadelphia; LippincottWilliams and Wilkins.
- Kahn, Weir,Moses, Smith (2010).Joslin‟s Diabetes (14th Edition). New Delhi:Walters Kluwer Ltd.
- Pickup & Williams (2003).Text Book of Diabetes .(3rd Edition). Black well
- Richard , Sunder Rao P.S.S (2002).An Introduction to Biostatistics. (3rd Edition).
- Watson (2002).Medical Surgical Nursing and Related (4th Edition).London, W.B SaundersCompany.
- Williams G, Pickups J.C, (2004).Hand book Diabetes.UK; Oxford Black May 2008; 47-51.
- Suzanne Smelter, Brenda G .Bare, Janice Hinkle, Kerry h. Cheever;Brunner and Siddhartha‟s Textbook ofMedical Surgical Nursing.(12th Edition).Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; Philadelphia.
- K Piranha,Raj,MM Agadir (2004). Knowledge Attitude on diabetes mellitus. Indian Journal of MedicalSpecialties.American Diabetes Association (2004), Implication of the Diabetes Control, complication trials and diabetics.
- Bennet SC, (2004). Homecare Management Of Diabetes ,Diabetes Care (27);264243ApuroopaGadepalli,(2015).A study on patients‟ awareness, recognition management and prevalence of hypoglycemic episodes in type 2 diabetes mellitus in a tertiary care hospital. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research.
- Wright RJ, (2008).Hypoglycemia case study – impaired awareness of hypoglycemia, clinical caseDiabetesHypoglycemia.
- Wendell, Blossom B, Oberg (1997). Psychic and socioeconomic consequences with diabetes compared to other chronic conditions. ScanPublic Health. 1997; 25:39-43.
- Giardia CB, (2014) Incidence and Correlates of Hypoglycemia in Type 2 Diabetes Journal of Diabetes &Metabolism.
- IDF, (2012). Global guideline for type 2 diabetes Retrieved from International Diabetes Federation
- Website: http://www.idf.org/sites/default/files/IDF GuidelineforType-2-Diabete
- (2012b). Diabetes. Retrieved Mar. 07, 2013, from World Health Organization website:http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs312/en/index.html
- Wild, D., von Malt Zahn, R., Brogan, E., Christensen, T., Clauson P., &GanderFrederick, L. (2007). A critical review of the literature on fear of hypoglycemia in diabetes: Implications for diabetes management and patient education. Patient Education and Counseling, 68(1)
- Geddes J, Schuman JE, Summit NN, et al. (2008). Prevalence of impaired awareness of hypoglycemia in adults with Type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Med.; 25(4):501–4.
- Gold AE, MacLeod KM, Firer BM. (1994). Frequency of severe hypoglycemia in patients with type I diabetes with impaired awareness of hypoglycemia. Diabetes Care 7:697-703.
- Williams SA, Pollack MF, Bonaventura M (2011). Effects of hypoglycemia on healthrelated quality of life, treatment satisfaction and healthcare resource utilization in patients with type 2 diabetes Diabetes Clinical Practical 2011; 91:363-70.
- SanjayKarla, (2013). Hypoglycemia: The neglected complication Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism,Volume 20, Issue 4
- Maria Chiara Rossi., (2013). Incidence and Correlates of Hypoglycemia in Type 2 Diabetes. The Hypos- 1 Study: Journal of Diabetes and Metabolism.
- O.Ogundipe,(2014). Impaired hypoglycemia awareness and employment in people with Type 1 diabetes.OxfordJournalOccupational Medicine.,Volume 61, Issue 4.
- Spoorthi Ashok Pai,Peter George,( 2015), Study on Awareness of Symptoms of Hypoglycemia & Early Managementamong Patients with Diabetes. Volume 14.
|Received||February 27, 2023|
|Accepted||June 1, 2023|
|Published||June 6, 2023|