Determination of fire Resistivity of Door and Window Materials at Portharcourt Markets in Nigeria
The persistence of fire outbreaks in markets is a problem in Nigeria and the repetition of this problem is very frequent at Port Harcourt in Rivers State. To curtail this problem, research was made on the three major markets in Port Harcourt with the aim of determining the fire resistivity of their door and window materials, in order to generate guidelines for designing doors and windows of market buildings in Nigeria. The research made use of desktop study as the instrument for data collection. Then, the data were analyzed and checked by using content analysis technique, so as to validate the results. Among the findings are uses of ordinary windowpanes and their aluminium frames in the design of market buildings are not good practices against fires. Among the recommended guidelines are the design of all the window panes of market buildings must be metal type; the design of all the window frames of market buildings must be steel type, in order to ensure good practices against fires in Nigerian markets. Alternatively, the design of all the window panels of market buildings must be made up of any other fire-resistant material with a minimum of two hours resistance, in order to also ensure good practices against fires in Nigerian markets.
Keyworde: Designing, doors and windows, fire, markets, and windowpanes
Full Text PDF
- Baah-Ennumh, T. Y. & Adom-Asamoah, G. (2012). The Role of Market Women in the Informal Urban Economy in Kumasi. Journal of Science and Technology, 32(2), 56-67.
- Owusu, G. & Lund, R. (2004). Markets and Women’s Trade: Exploring their Role in District Development in Ghana. Norwegian Journal of Geography, 58(3), 113-124.
- Federal Fire Safety of Nigeria (2016). Market Fires Killed 600 in 15 Months. A News Blog obtained from the Federal Fire Service of Nigeria. http://punchng.com/market-fire-killed-600-in-15-months-cg/. Retrieved on 02-01-2017.
- TVC News (2021). Breaking: Fire Guts Mile 3 Market in Port Harcourt. An Online News at TVC Communications. https://www.tvcnews.tv/2021/02/breaking-fire-guts-mile-3-market-in-port-harcourt/. Retrieved on 05-12-2022.
- Wikipedia (2022). Port Harcourt. Blogs from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Harcourt. Retrieved on 07-12-2022.
- National Population Commission (2022). Brief History. A Blog at the Official Website of the National Population Commission of Nigeria. https://nationalpopulation.gov.ng/brief-history/.Retrieved on 28-03-2022.
- Nigeria High Commission (2022). Key Data. A Blog from the Official Website of Nigeria High Commission, London, United Kingdom. https://www.nigeriahc.org.uk/about-nigeria. Retrieved on 28-03-2022.
- Pitakwa Times (2016). Where to Find the Top 7 Markets in Port Harcourt and what they Sell. Blogs at Sale’s Pitch Writing Enterprise. https://pitakwatimes.wordpress.com/2016/02/24/where-to-find- the-top-7-markets-in-port-harcourt-and-what-they-sell/. Retrieved on 08-12-2022.
- Prashant K. & Supriya B. (2010). Sample Size Calculation. International Journal of Ayurveda Research, 1(1), 55–57.
- Steve, C. (February 26, 2011). What is the Smallest Sample Size I can use for my Study? The Dissertation Statistics Consultant Blog. http://www.statisticsconsultant.com/dissertation- advice/what-is-the-smallest-sample-size-i-can-use-for-my-study/. Retrieved on 22-09-2016.
- Suresh, K.P. and Chandrashekara, S. (2012). Sample Size Estimation and Power Analysis for Clinical Research Studies. Journal of Human Reproductive Sciences, 5(1), 7–13.
- Buxton, P. (2011). Steel Focus. A Guide for Fire Protection for Architects. http://www.bdonline.co.uk/a-guide-to-fire-protection-for-architects/5026079.article. Retrieved on 26-05-2017.
- Health and Safety Executive (2010). Fire Safety in Construction. Guidance for Clients, Designers and those Managing and Carrying out Construction Work involving Significant Fire Risks. Second edition of the Guidance, ISBN: 978 0 7176 6345 3, Sudbury, United Kingdom: HSE Publisher.
- Merritt, F.S. & Ricketts, J.T. (2001). Building Design and Construction Handbook. Sixth Edition of Building Design and Construction Handbook. ISBN: 9780070419995. New York: McGraw-Hill Professional publication.
- Neufert, E. & Neufert, P. (2000). Architects’ Data. ISBN-10: 0632037768, ISBN-13: 978- 0632037766, Third Edition, 12th September 2000, 72 – 76, 126 – 130, & 137. Oxford Brookes University: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Wald, F., Kallerova P. & Chlouba J. (2009). Applications of Structural Fire Engineering. Proceedings of International Conference held during the Czech Presidency of the Council of the EU in Prague, 19-20 February 2009.
- Jerry, R. (2008). An Introduction to Fire-Rated Glass. Glass Articles at Glass on Web. https://www.glassonweb.com/article/introduction-fire-rated-
glass#:~:text=However%2C%20in%20reality%2C%20most%20glass,reaches%20approximately%20250%C2%B0%20F. Retrieved on 05-12-2022.
- Davor, S., Ivan, C. & Marija, J.R. (2015). Behaviour of Aluminium Structures in Fire – A Review. A Paper Presented at the 4th International Conference on the Applications of Structural Fire Engineering in Dubrovnik, Croatia. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/283010292_ Behaviour_of_aluminium_structures_in_fire_-_A_review. Retrieved on 08-12-2022.
- Building and Construction Authority (2017). Sustainable Construction. A Guide on Fire Protection and Performance-based Fire Engineering. Building and Construction Authority (BCS) SustainableConstruction Series 2.
- Quarles, S.L. (2013). Fire Ratings for Construction Materials. An Article on Fire. Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety, Richburg, South Carolina. http://articles.extension.org/pages/31039/fire-ratings-for-construction-materials. Retrieved on 25- 05-2017.