In this paper, an overview of various reconfigurable antenna designs based on graphene material utilized for terahertz applications is presented. Terahertz electromagnetic spectrum is the term used to describe the frequency range between 0.1 and 10 THz. A promising material for THz reconfigurable antennas, graphene has a low skin effect and a built-in ability to tune by chemical or electrostatic gating. This study reviews the development of reconfigurable antenna for terahertz applications using graphene. Due to the conductive nature of graphene, antenna properties including frequency, polarization, and radiation efficiency can be changed. In order to study the attributes of antennas for use in the terahertz domain, numerous structures are evaluated and analyzed in this research. A comparison analysis of reconfigurable antenna in the terahertz region is done in the paper after a brief introduction and literature review.
Keywords: Antenna designs, Graphene, Terahertz region, Complementary split ring resonator , Electrostatic gating
This article belongs to Special Issue Conference ICASEMCT-2023: International Conference on Advancements in Smart Electronics, Materials and Communication Technologies
1. Anuradha A. Palsokar, S.L. Lahudkar, “Frequency and pattern reconfigurable rectangular patch antenna using single PIN diode”, International Journal of electronics and communications (AEU),Volume 125, October 2020
2. Ritesh Kumar Kushwaha, P. Karuppanan, “Enhanced radiation characteristics of graphene-based patch antenna array employing photonic crystals and dielectric grating for THz applications” Optik-Journal-Elsevier, Volume 200, January 2020
3. Khatereh Moradi, AliPourziad, Saeid Nikmehr,”A Frequency Reconfigurable microstrip antenna based on graphene in Terahertz Regime”, Optik-Journal-Elsevier, February 2021.
4. M.N. eddine Temmar, A. Hocini, D. Khedrouche, T.A. Denidni, “Enhanced flexible terahertz microstrip antenna based on modified silicon-air photonic crystal”, Optik 217 (2020), 164897.
5. M.A.K. Khan, M.I. Ullah, M.A. Alim, “High-gain and ultrawide-band graphene patch antenna with photonic crystal covering 96.48% of the terahertz band”, Optik 227 (2021), 166056.
6. Md. Abdul KaiumKhanMd. IbrahimUllahMohammad AbdulAlim, “High gain and ultra wide band grapheme patch antenna with photonic crystal covering 96.48% of the tera hertz band”, Optik-Journal-Elsevier,Volume 227, February 2021.
A Reconfigurable Multilayered THz Leaky-Wave Antenna Employing Liquid Crystals, 11th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), March 2017
8. Y. Wu, M. Qu, L. Jiao, Y. Liu, Z. Ghassemlooy, “Graphene-Based yagi-uda antenna with reconfigurable radiation patterns”AIP Adv., 6 (6) (2016), p. 065308
9. Wanlong Guo, Lin Wang, Xiaoshuang Chen, Changlong Liu, Weiwei Tang, Cheng Guo, Jin Wang, and Wei Lu, Graphene-based broadband terahertz detector integrated with a square-siral antenna, Optics Letters,Volume 43, 2018
10. Ansuman Shubham, Diptiranjan Samantaray, Sambit Kumar Ghosh, Smrity Dwivedi, Somak Bhattacharyya, “Performance improvement of grapheme patch antenna using metasurface for THz applications”, Optik-Journal-Elsevier, Volume 264,August 2022
11. Khatereh Moradi, AliPourziad, Saeid Nikmehr, “An efficient graphene-based reconfigurable terahertz ring antenna design”, International Journal of Electronics and Communications, AEU, Volume 149, May 2022.
12. Mohammad M.Fakharian, “A Graphene based multifunctional Terahertz Antenna”, Optik-Journal-Elsevier, Volume 251, February 2022
13. Radhoine Aloui; Zied Houaneb; Ignacio Llamas-Garro; Hassen Zairi “Terahertz Substrate Integrated Waveguide Wideband Antenna for Medical Imaging and Satellite Communications Applications”, 2019 IEEE 19th Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS), November 2019
14. Abdoalbaset Abohmra; Fizzah Jilani; Hasan Abbas; Muhammad Ali Imran; Qammer H. Abbasi, “Terahertz Antenna based on Graphene for Wearable Applications”, 2019 IEEE 19th Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS), August 2019
15. Mohd. Farman Ali; Rajeev Kumar Singh; Rajrashi Bhattacharya, “Re-Configurable Graphene-Based Two Port Dual-band and MIMO Antenna for THz Applications”, 2020 IEEE Students Conference on Engineering & Systems (SCES), November 2020
16. Shivani Chandra; Smrity Dwivedi, “Design and simulation of graphene based antenna for radiation pattern”, International Conference for Convergence in Technology (I2CT), April 2021
17. NargesKiani, Farzad Tavakkol, Hamedani Pejman, RezaeiMohsen, Jafari Chashmi, MohammadDanaie, “Polarization controling approach in reconfigurable microstrip graphene-based antenna”, Optik-Journal-Elsevier,Volume 203, Feb 2020
18. Narges Kiani, Farzad Tavakkol, Hamedani Pejman Rezaei, “Polarization controlling method in reconfigurable graphene-based patch four-leaf clover-shaped antenna” Optik-Journal-Elsevier,Volume 231, April 2021.
19. M. Jafari Chashmi, P. Rezaei, N. Kiani, “Polarization controlling of multi resonant graphene-based microstrip antenna”, Plasmonics 15 (2) (2020) 417–426
20. G. Varshney, S. Debnath, A.K. Sharma, “Tunable circularly polarized graphene antenna for THz applications”, Optik 223 (2020), 165412.
|Received||May 5, 2023|
|Accepted||July 6, 2023|
|Published||July 26, 2023|